"Let every individual and institution now think and act as a responsible trustee of Earth, seeking choices in ecology, economics and ethics that will provide a sustainable future, eliminate pollution, poverty and violence, awaken the wonder of life and foster peaceful progress in the human adventure."
- John McConnell, founder of International Earth Day

RIGHT NOW, and then again tomorrow and then again the next day and on it goes day after day,
1/2 OF THE WORLD lives on LESS THAN 2 DOLLARS each day.

Psalm 27:4
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
Do all you can and don't worry about the odds against you. Wield the miracle of life's energy, never worrying whether we fail, concerned only that whether we fail or succeed we do so with all our might. That's all we need to know to feel certain that all our force of diligent effort is worth our while on Earth.
Carl Safina, Voyage of the Turtle

Sunday, July 5, 2009

Strawberries, Motorcycles and Horses, Oh My!!

The weekend of the 4th turned into quite a whirl of activity. Initially we had only planned to attend my brother's function at his house to celebrate the 4th, BUT, then...my friend T called on Friday and came up from a town several hours south of my home town. Once she arrived we visited my friend P, who lives on a 6 acre farmette about 20 minutes away. They have several horses, chickens etc., P saddled up Gracie (the horse) I hopped on and gave each of the girls a ride. They both loved it. It was the third time Tuks has been riding a horse, but it was Ve's first. They enjoyed riding with me too. My friend P took pictures, so once she sends them to me I will post the pixs.

We stayed for a yummy supper, so we arrived home extremely late, way past the girls bedtime.

So Saturday, we still got up early, but with two very crabby girls and one crabby Mama. We had a lazy morning, and I put the girls down for a early nap, but about 1 hour into it Kiki came for a surprise visit, the girls came downstairs, and we had a nice Kentucky Fried Chicken lunch with ice cream, Kiki stayed until 4:00pmish, the time we had to take off and pick up Grandma, and go to my brother's house 45 minutes away..


Girls all ready for the 4th celebration

Having fun giggling with Kiki and Hubble


Me and the girls


horse back riding Kiki



times two

practicing their T-ball at my brothers


motorcycling ride with Uncle W. Helmets on, going around the block at only 5mph...


times two----one of the highlights of the day for them

This was another very late night.

Then Sunday morning, we all slept in late...we didn't get up until 9:00am...our usual time is 6:30am. But we managed to pull it together and go strawberry picking with Kiki for several hours. OK....now are you ready for this, I ignorantly picked 48 lbs of strawberries for our house hold. So you can imagine what I have been working on the last two days.

first time picking


filling their buckets, the girls did really well considering their age, attention span., etc.,



My 48 lbs plus Kiki's 13 lbs, equals 61 lbs of strawberries...WOW

Then later, after their naps, and my fixing strawberries we attended a bluegrass band at our local 4th of July celebration.

Girls dancing


eating


and kicking their heels up with Kiki.

A wonderful, wonderful weekend overall spent with family and friends...who could ask for more?!

3 comments:

Marta said...

super cute photos. I know what you mean about getting them to bed late, etc, we did that all week-end and still trying to catch up!

Calico Sky said...

ooh that looks like a lot of fun! Pick your own isn't really big here, which is odd since the majority eat food from farmers markets and are passionate about organic and local. I miss picking strawberries in June and apples in September...maybe next year! :0)

Jane said...

Whatcha gonna do with all those strawberries??? LOL We have about 5 qts in the freezer, too.
I'm just getting caught up on your blog. The girls look so big! And so happy. You're really making some childhood memories this summer. Sweet!

My Travels