"Let every individual and institution now think and act as a responsible trustee of Earth, seeking choices in ecology, economics and ethics that will provide a sustainable future, eliminate pollution, poverty and violence, awaken the wonder of life and foster peaceful progress in the human adventure."
- John McConnell, founder of International Earth Day

RIGHT NOW, and then again tomorrow and then again the next day and on it goes day after day,
1/2 OF THE WORLD lives on LESS THAN 2 DOLLARS each day.

Psalm 27:4
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
Do all you can and don't worry about the odds against you. Wield the miracle of life's energy, never worrying whether we fail, concerned only that whether we fail or succeed we do so with all our might. That's all we need to know to feel certain that all our force of diligent effort is worth our while on Earth.
Carl Safina, Voyage of the Turtle

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Haiti----rise of the Phoenix??


"For so long, no one cared, no one knew us." an emotional quote from Haitian American Actress Garcelle Beauvais. She was a visitor on the Larry King Help Haiti fundraiser from a few nights ago.

I never watched LK before, but I wanted to see how this mini-telethon played out for Haiti. Within two hours, the show had raised nearly 5 million dollars for UNICEF and the American Red Cross. Not too bad. All good, YET, I couldn't help but dwell on Garcelle's words.

She was right.

In my visits to Haiti, I always wondered how people could live in such poverty, when only 600 miles from the USA. WHY, why didn't we seem to care, why didn't people know about the country, where it was located, the conditions people lived in, why, why, why. My head hurt sometimes in thinking and wondering why. Yet when I would talk about the country and conditions, I could easily see people were only as interested for as long as they could pretend they were interested. The talk would then quickly turn to other, insignificant (I think anyway) subjects.

So I wonder, NOW, with this continuous horrendous tragedy, if, just maybe, if, Haiti could be re-buildt. There has been such an incredible outpouring of support from so many countries. Maybe it could be a beautiful country once again, Maybe.....Maybe, Haiti will be like the Phoenix symbol...a bird that dies in ashes, but rises again to be a much more beautiful creature, after it was re-born. I know whimsical....but I am so hoping and so praying that good may come from all this heartache, death, and sadness....

2 comments:

Laurie said...

I hope when they do rebuild they have potable water, sanitation, electricity - it could happen. It could be a good thing................. ah but the devasation now, heart breaking.

Salzwedel Family said...

That is my prayer.

My Travels