"Let every individual and institution now think and act as a responsible trustee of Earth, seeking choices in ecology, economics and ethics that will provide a sustainable future, eliminate pollution, poverty and violence, awaken the wonder of life and foster peaceful progress in the human adventure."
- John McConnell, founder of International Earth Day

RIGHT NOW, and then again tomorrow and then again the next day and on it goes day after day,
1/2 OF THE WORLD lives on LESS THAN 2 DOLLARS each day.

Psalm 27:4
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
Do all you can and don't worry about the odds against you. Wield the miracle of life's energy, never worrying whether we fail, concerned only that whether we fail or succeed we do so with all our might. That's all we need to know to feel certain that all our force of diligent effort is worth our while on Earth.
Carl Safina, Voyage of the Turtle

Monday, September 20, 2010

Modify, Modify

The first few weeks of school have been busy.

Tuki LOVES 4K, but she is picking up some snotty girl behaviors. I don't know where it stems but I can sure tell Tuki is experimenting with it. I, of course, attempt to squash it out as soon as it appears. She is loving her jazz class and can't wait for it to come around every week.

Ve is doing fantastic!! I had been telling her all summer that she needs to be well behaved this year, and that she needs to tell herself to focus so that she is a leader of good behavior and not a follower of bad behavior. So far, she is getting complimented by her excellent behavior. She has yet to go yellow, always stays on green and works hard. She has even been told by her teacher that she is a good reader, and she is too. It comes from all those flash cards that I have her do daily. I am still adding new ones, one card each day and she sounds the new words out so quickly it even makes my head spin. We just may be turning a corner after all. She not only loves gymnastics but is very gifted in this sport as well.

Mim loves school and CC running, but I had to request some major modifications in her assignments for school by the second week,. It was painfully obvious to me just how lacking she still is in her English vocabulary and understanding. She doesn't seem to notice, but I sure do, so I went to her ESL teacher and said we need to modify sooner rather than later. It has been much better since then. She is getting more friends thru the CC team and her youth group at church. I would say she is a happy young lady. We also enjoying seeing each other throughout the day as well, since we are at the same school.

Tuesdays and Wednesday are crazy busy, and then the weekends that Mim has a CC meet gets busy as well. This past weekend, she didn't have a meet, so I managed to can 10 quarts of pears, 6 quarts of pear sauce, and 8 pints of grape jam. Plus, we sold 14 dozen eggs. I feel like I had a real homesteading weekend. My friends just dropped off two more boxes of fruit tonight. One contains plums, and the other apples. I guess more canning is in my future this weekend.

Our freezer is full, and our canning shelf is nearly full. We will eat well and pretty inexpensive this winter. Life is good.

No comments:

My Travels