"Let every individual and institution now think and act as a responsible trustee of Earth, seeking choices in ecology, economics and ethics that will provide a sustainable future, eliminate pollution, poverty and violence, awaken the wonder of life and foster peaceful progress in the human adventure."
- John McConnell, founder of International Earth Day

RIGHT NOW, and then again tomorrow and then again the next day and on it goes day after day,
1/2 OF THE WORLD lives on LESS THAN 2 DOLLARS each day.

Psalm 27:4
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
Do all you can and don't worry about the odds against you. Wield the miracle of life's energy, never worrying whether we fail, concerned only that whether we fail or succeed we do so with all our might. That's all we need to know to feel certain that all our force of diligent effort is worth our while on Earth.
Carl Safina, Voyage of the Turtle

Saturday, June 28, 2008

Alpha – The beginning


White House in Haiti

After a hurried, not so well thought out, driving by the seat of our pants entrance into the airport terminal by my friend dropping me off, I finally was on my way to Haiti. A quick meet - up with Small town girl and Mrs. K in Atlanta, and we were all on our way to see our children. Honestly, I had no idea as to what to expect in my time with the girls. Last year I spent maybe 3 hours with Ve, in which she slept one hour of it away and my only encounter with Mim was playing catch with her and several others on my last day there.

My first priority was to get my paperwork filed on Friday, and it worked out well for all of us even though I was a nervous wreck prior to due to the 2 hour delay of our scheduled meeting. Friday afternoon all the kids were brought over, 5 girls and one boy. I was afraid I’d give him a complex since I had a bad habit of referring to the gaggle of kids as girls.



Mim coloring the first night. I think she is doing a pretty good job!!

Upon meeting up with the girls, I showed them their photo albums and then we went to our bedrooms. I had three single beds located in my room. Once I had shown the girls their gifts, Mim promptly separated the clothes according to her size and Ve's size. She did a better and quicker job of this than I would have. In fact, somehow I think Mim has more experience at this mothering role than I do. Shortly after, we hung together with the other kids and Moms, then we ate, then finally we swam. Ve went in the water willingly with me, but held a death grip around my neck the whole time, whereas Mim was like a flower that had been sprinkled on and just opened up with the brightest blossom. She is literally all smiles, movement and sunshine in the water. After we exited the pool, we spent some time watching the world go by on the balcony at Walls. The kids were quiet and I was not sure as to how they were taking this all in. We eventually returned to our rooms, brushed our teeth, and Mim choose the bed directly across from me and Ve jumped on the bed at the foot on my bed. We all slept very well that night.


Ve's version of coloring. She was sure proud of her work!!


The swimming suits, I went with two pieces because I wasn't sure of their sizes and I didn't want to get there and find out I had chosen suits that were too small. I think they look pretty good in them, even though you wouldn't catch me in a two piece!! LOL


Our first night together!!!

4 comments:

veggiemom said...

The girls look great! I love that last pic with the 3 of you together!
Kerri and Ruby

Mandy said...

I guess I must have missed that you were going there. WOW that is so cool. Were the girls excited? Did Tuks go? Maybe I should to and read more to find out but WOW what an amazing experience.

Salzwedel Family said...

All your pictures are great! Your girls are precious.

Kelly said...

I love the last pic!!!!

My Travels