"Let every individual and institution now think and act as a responsible trustee of Earth, seeking choices in ecology, economics and ethics that will provide a sustainable future, eliminate pollution, poverty and violence, awaken the wonder of life and foster peaceful progress in the human adventure."
- John McConnell, founder of International Earth Day

RIGHT NOW, and then again tomorrow and then again the next day and on it goes day after day,
1/2 OF THE WORLD lives on LESS THAN 2 DOLLARS each day.

Psalm 27:4
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
Do all you can and don't worry about the odds against you. Wield the miracle of life's energy, never worrying whether we fail, concerned only that whether we fail or succeed we do so with all our might. That's all we need to know to feel certain that all our force of diligent effort is worth our while on Earth.
Carl Safina, Voyage of the Turtle

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

If you build it, they will come

This girl showed up yesterday. We first saw her several blocks away in a very busy part of town. She didn't seem to fear the cars or people. We noticed her, but we were busy going to Ve and Mim's haircut appointment (more later on this). The appointment lasted 2 hours and when we arrived back home, this turkey was now in our yard pacing the fence in an attempt to get by our chickens. The girls were excited, so we let the chickens out, and slowly walked the turkey to them. Once she joined our feathered flock we slowly moved them all back into the fenced area. We now have a turkey, for a while at least until she attempts to fly out...which by the way she has made no attempt at this what so ever...






We are now on spring break for a week..yeah!! What are we doing, not much, just relaxing...I have been dealing with plantar facilities since the end of October, that has now moved into the surrounding tendons. I have been in a lot of pain for 4 1/2 months, so I finally went to the doctor. They said I treated it right except for one important area...I never rested it..sounds like me. Anyway that five mile race at the beginning of March did me in. Running slow with Ve and Tuks, plus pushing Tuks in the stroller for more than half the way took its toll. They have me in a walking boot, stretches, and now they believe the whole problem hinges on the fact that I have narrow heels and the fatty tissue is spreading out and I do not have enough cushion padding....one thing leads to another, so I am moving slow of late.

Last weekend Mim and I had a blow out over her learning to listen to me, respect, etc., It happens about once a month, but this time was very different, and by Monday I found out why. She started menstruating...OK, so now I really do have a teenager in the house. So to re-cap just short of five months that she has been home, she has grown several inches, put on 10+ lbs, lost 3 teeth and now she is a young woman...
allot of changes in a short time..

As for the hair appointment. If you remember I relaxed the girl's hair shortly after Mim came home. It was OK for Ve, actually really good, but I feel (hindsight) Mim's hair was not healthy enough to have done it so soon. It started breaking in the back, so we went to have Ve's hair trimmed yesterday and Mim's cut really really short. It was traumatic for her, but we told her that it will come back healthier than ever. The hair stylist, Nina is a black woman who I specifically choose so
that Mim could hear it from her that cutting it off was the best thing to do at this time. I think it looks classy, and sophisticated, but Mim is adjusting. We bought more headbands and some ear rings so she doesn't feel like such a boy...She asked right away about relaxing it again, and I just said "We'll see, how it goes" maybe if she lets me I will post a picture at a later date.

We have also been planning out our summer...I hope to take a 3 - 8 day trip for each month that we are off. I have two scheduled so far and just need to firm up the last one. It should be nice. Ve and Mim will also be in summer school, so we will be busy but not too busy..Only 10 weeks away...hard to believe, but still seems so far away...

1 comment:

:) said...

Hey Cindy! I've been waiting for your latest post LOL

2 things.....even tho they are ungodly expensive (unless you get a pair on sale and then they are just expensive), have you looked into MBT shoes for your feet? They are "rocker bottom" shoes. I have hallux limitus and they are a dream for my feet.

2nd thing, for Mim, don't forget about the option of locking. If Ve is relaxed but you loc Mim's then you'd only have her head of hair to tighten every month or 2 (Depending how fast it grows out) and the bonding time of closeness, just you and her while tightening, maybe while up a bit later than the other girls, watching a movie, would probably be really soothing for her...especially in light of the changes she is going thru.

:)

lovin' your new turkey!

steph

My Travels