"Let every individual and institution now think and act as a responsible trustee of Earth, seeking choices in ecology, economics and ethics that will provide a sustainable future, eliminate pollution, poverty and violence, awaken the wonder of life and foster peaceful progress in the human adventure."
- John McConnell, founder of International Earth Day

RIGHT NOW, and then again tomorrow and then again the next day and on it goes day after day,
1/2 OF THE WORLD lives on LESS THAN 2 DOLLARS each day.

Psalm 27:4
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
Do all you can and don't worry about the odds against you. Wield the miracle of life's energy, never worrying whether we fail, concerned only that whether we fail or succeed we do so with all our might. That's all we need to know to feel certain that all our force of diligent effort is worth our while on Earth.
Carl Safina, Voyage of the Turtle

Friday, June 8, 2012

Last Day of School

for me and the girls were done 2 days ago. So now on to summer. Mim graduates to 9th, Ve to 3rd and Tuki to 1st for the next school year. So all are doing well. I did receive their end of year reading levels, Tuki's DRA is an 8, (which is at mid-year 1st grade level), Ve's DRA is at a 28, (which is at end of year 2nd grade level) and Mim 's lexile is around 448, (which when translated to DRA is around 28 - 30, also 2nd grade level).

So with this knowledge in hand I have prepared all three girls a summer school regime of each to read every day, with spelling and also reading comprehension activities. All are starting at the 1st grade level, with the exception I told them that I expect Tuki to only get through the 1st grade activities, Ve to get through the 1st and mostly the 2nd, and Mim to fly through the 1st and 2nd and work harder at the third grade level. We will see how this goes, but I will admit it is always an eye opener to me, even though I know Mim is low, to realize how truly low her reading and comprehension level is.

Once again, it is rough on kids to come home so old and attempt to make up lost education time AND learn English at the same time. Since I have sat down with the girls and showed them their reading levels, I will have to say Mim has been reading nearly non-stop since she has made it her goal to develop her comprehension and get her reading level higher. Obviously, Mim doesn't like it that both her younger sisters are close to her level, but it is also a reality check for her since she almost daily insists she understands perfectly what people are saying and what she is reading. The truth is hard to take, but it is also the tool that pushes a person to make changes for the better, and Mim seems to have have embraced this idea, for now anyway....

No comments:

My Travels