"Let every individual and institution now think and act as a responsible trustee of Earth, seeking choices in ecology, economics and ethics that will provide a sustainable future, eliminate pollution, poverty and violence, awaken the wonder of life and foster peaceful progress in the human adventure."
- John McConnell, founder of International Earth Day

RIGHT NOW, and then again tomorrow and then again the next day and on it goes day after day,
1/2 OF THE WORLD lives on LESS THAN 2 DOLLARS each day.

Psalm 27:4
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
Do all you can and don't worry about the odds against you. Wield the miracle of life's energy, never worrying whether we fail, concerned only that whether we fail or succeed we do so with all our might. That's all we need to know to feel certain that all our force of diligent effort is worth our while on Earth.
Carl Safina, Voyage of the Turtle

Saturday, July 13, 2013

Update

Over the fourth we went camping for 4 days at a lake nearby so we could return home once daily for chicken care. We kenneled the dogs so only had to come home once daily. My friend B and her kids came up from Milwaukee as well. In addition, local friends and family came over to the campground for swimming, kayaking, campfires and of course eating.....I think all weight lost may have been returned..ok not all but some.

My nephew Luke also had our annual 4th of July celebration on Saturday. This was usually hosted by my brother Kent, and since he passed away last November, Luke, his son, is continuing the tradition. I am proud of him for doing that.

Our family has worked hard on annually hosting the holidays. Once both parents have past, the tradition of family holidays also end, it takes a lot of planning and effort to keep the extended family together once the glue (parents) that bond are no longer there. We have been doing this now for over 10 years and now Luke carries it on as well...that makes me proud. BTW today Kent would have turned 56...rest in peace my brother

Tuki had finished her softball season, I don't know their season final since they don't really track it that close for 7 - 8 year olds. Ve's team finished dead last, but then in the playoffs, they climbed to fourth place and I couldn't believe they almost had third place until the bottom of their 6th inning....but ended up with 4th and once again Ve earned a trophy to add to her collection. Again it caused much stirring among Tuki and Mim since they have no trophies....yet...... from their sporting activities...poor kids, but this is one of  Ve's gift where as the other two has other gifts that Ve does not possess.

All the girls started a daily month long swim lessons on July 8th and Mim is still running 6 out 7 days. I give her credit, in this case her stubbornness is channeled into determination and that is fantastic... I need to tell her that tonight..making sure to explain that this personality trait can be used for good or bad.....that is where I need to improve, in pointing out where certain traits can be used in different ways...

It is still up and down with Mim's disobedient smart mouth and age appropriate behavior for a 16 year old. Her immaturity causes a ton of stress in the household on the days she acts up...again maybe about 3 - 4  days in between. I guess I should rejoice in that is now 4 days apart versus 2 days apart...that is progress, though little, but some. I have started looking for a therapist for her. I think it is time even though she fights the idea, of course, I know we need to take some step because I honestly feel our issues are more bonded related versus teenage related....you know how it is, everyone who has not adopted just say, oh that is how all teenagers are, but you know down deep that there is something more to this and only other adoptive parents get it.....

Our garden looks good, the lettuce tastes great, and the many plants are full of flowers.....BUT the battle with cottontails have taken a toll. I have resorted to placing chicken wire around the broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage and pole beans to allow for growth because all those plants were down to the stem....dang rabbits, but now with the second line of defense, it is working..once again a reminder only viney plants on the periphery. I changed it up because I believe in crop rotation, but maybe all we can rotate is the type of vineys and where we place them on the periphery....so maddening some times.

We only have two weeks left of summer school, I feel my internship has gone well so far and working at a elementary school versus a junior high has been an eye opener. It makes some of the junior high issues look small. So many students that have issues at the elementary have not been identified yet so they have not received outside help, thus some of these kids have no coping strategies for stress, whereas by the junior high most have been identified are receiving some sort of help with coping....

Today the girls are at my friend Pam's farm making money helping weeding their large garden, and I am at home doing the laundry and still putting up more chicken wire around plants in the garden. I plan to add photos soon. I am working on a different computer and I need to figure out how to size the photos to get them on the blog.


No comments:

My Travels