"Let every individual and institution now think and act as a responsible trustee of Earth, seeking choices in ecology, economics and ethics that will provide a sustainable future, eliminate pollution, poverty and violence, awaken the wonder of life and foster peaceful progress in the human adventure."
- John McConnell, founder of International Earth Day

RIGHT NOW, and then again tomorrow and then again the next day and on it goes day after day,
1/2 OF THE WORLD lives on LESS THAN 2 DOLLARS each day.

Psalm 27:4
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
Do all you can and don't worry about the odds against you. Wield the miracle of life's energy, never worrying whether we fail, concerned only that whether we fail or succeed we do so with all our might. That's all we need to know to feel certain that all our force of diligent effort is worth our while on Earth.
Carl Safina, Voyage of the Turtle

Saturday, May 3, 2008

My Reaction

Please refer to this post when reading today's.

My first reaction to the article was sadness because this type of treatment still exists even though it is constantly claimed we have come a long way in our fight against racism. Yet apparently we haven't. My second reaction was then anger, normal for me after I witness or read about an injustice. My third reaction was total fear for my daughters in how again this thing called racism will not only affect their day to day living but also possibly their financial livelihoods. Then I went back to being ..well frankly pissed off.

I am starting to see that racism is like women are/were treated. Yes, the feminist movement has brought many injustices out in the open, but that has only forced sexist people to be more cunning, and subtle in their actions. I know this because I have been the victim many times because of sexist behavior and attitudes. I think the same with racism. It may not be so out in the open, for the most part, you know it's not PC, but it is there in many subtle ways. The subtle ways are far more difficult to deal with. Even though I agree that we should deal with the solution rather than look at the problem. The truth is you can't come up with a solution until the problem is first acknowledged, and then is looked at really, really hard.. a deep dissection of the problem, so that the solution is truly a solution and does not become another aspect of the problem.

The one thing I did not perceive in any way in this article was that this only happens in the south. I see that this happens everywhere, especially in America. America includes the south, north, east and west. I was a little surprised that the comments were geared toward the south vs. north thing..I guess it went right over my head, but then maybe I am not looking at it deep enough.

I most especially feel that me/we as white trans racial parents need to be able to read these articles without taking offense, examine ourselves and try and not hide from what it says. I don't consider myself a white family anymore, I am a family of color that will get even more colorful within the next year. How exciting is that? Unfortunately, I know others that don't necessarily hold my views and share my excitement.

I also do believe that racism and feminism still exists, right, nothing new, you probably do too. I also believe our societies general acceptance of domestic and wild animal treatment and habitat destruction is wrong and injustice. I also believe life would be so easy if we went around avoiding the problems and injustices, oh yeah, sooooo much easier. But quite frankly I can't, I have to do or speak out against them quite simply because I have to, otherwise I couldn't live with myself.

I think I now know why God has given me my feisty personality, to try and help fight some of these things that some others either; accept because they don't want to get involved, or to maintain a safe and easy lifestyle, or they participate in it freely, or I guess there is the possibility they don't believe certain types of injustices exists. I guess I don't really know. I just know I have to get involved.


BTW this is in no way directed at anyone in particular, I am just stating my thoughts out loud.

7 comments:

Salzwedel Family said...

I too worry about how my girl will suffer injustices simply because of her skin color. It is not right, but we have to use every opportunity that presents itself to educate others. When we announced we were adopting from Haiti a co-worker said to me, "oh, they are REALLY dark there" - as if it would be more acceptable if they were a lighter shade of brown. I pray a lot for these people...

This Mama said...

Wow - I fully agree with you and I am a fiesty one about these things as well.

I like how you said that the racism/sexism still exists but it is more subtle. It is very subtle and it is everywhere regardless of location.

Brenda said...

My older boys (twins) have very dark skin. The birth relatives are all listed as caucasion but obviously they are hispanic or something. People often ask them if they are black. Yes there are prejudiced remarks. Yes. There are stupid people. At first it made me so angry. Eventually I focused on that fact that this is the world my boys are going to have to live in and I turned to putting my energy into helping them be people who can live in a prejudiced world and realize there is absoultely nothing wrong with them. It is the stupid people. They have to learn to live with them. I'm rambling. I did buy the boys an excellent book when they were younger and first started asking about their skin. I'll see if I can find it and tell you what it is.

Brenda said...

Here it is:

http://www.amazon.com/All-Colors-We-Are-colores/dp/0934140804/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1209902439&sr=8-2

I think tomorrow I'll do a book review of it on my blog. Thanks for the idea.

Marta said...

Having lived on the West Coast for most of my life, and now having lived in the South for over 13 years, I have to state that my experience is that yes, racism exists everywhere (even in "progressive" California) however it manifests itself differently there as opposed to where I live now. It is more pronounced here, once you actually run into it. I have known quite a few people (white)that will use the "N" word and swear they are not racist. I think they really believe that. I wrote this on my blog a long time ago and I still firmly believe it: the wounds down here have not healed for many people, black and white. From slavery, Civil war, emancipation, segregation, Civil rights, desegregation. That does not mean there is not movement against racism, there is. I think there has been much improvement and it continues. The most shocking thing to me as an outsider was meeting so many blacks that HATE whites. That does not get discussed much, outside of the South. It also gets justified, because of slavery. But hate is hate, and it's always ugly, and in my opinion, wrong. Martin Luther King Jr. was talking about it ALL, that's what makes him so great. So, how am I going to protect my girls? I am prepared for it to become a rough road at times. I am going to take it one day at a time. And anyone that has the nerve to say anything hurtful to my girls or to me is going to get an earfull, I can guarentee. But, as Brenda says, the best thing to do is concentrate on making sure they are OK with themselves and not become preoccupied in anyway with the stupid people.

Marta said...

Just one more thing...I too am passionate about this subject...despite these problems, I love living in the South and I love the Southerners that I have met living here, so this is nothing against them. They have "adopted" me and I am thrilled. I agree with you that it is very problematic in areas where the problem is more subtle. Because, for the most part, it is not really acknowledged.

Aves @ Call of the Phoebe said...

Hey, Thanks for the great discussion. It is wonderful to explore and discuss topics with others of like mind.

Just for clarification, I do proactive work and teaching and reading with Tuks and I plan to do the same for my other girls. I read books about people of color, plus I tell Tuks all the time that she is beautiful, pretty, brave, smart, strong, kind and sweet. Sometimes emphasizing her eyes and skin, sometimes emphasizing her personality. Now when I ask her "are you....fill in the blank" she says "yes". But my reason for posting and discussing these topics is to approach the problem from the outside as well. Get it out and talk about it to everyone. I guess I do the inside out and outside in approach. Right now, when Tuks is seen with me, no big deal, but someday she may be hanging with other friends of various ethnic groups and she won't have my "whiteness" as protection from racist attitudes. I hope you know what I mean by that. Sometimes people make comments around me about immigrants, being careful in their wording so as not to offend because they know Tuks is Hispanic, and I usually casually comment on their comment, ok, sometimes not so casually. BUT, I can't help but think when they do that, if infact they make outward comments to people of color when they aren't guarding their words,
and then of course I have a window into to their true thoughts, which again, is against my daughters, but they just aren't spoken.
Anyway I am rambling.. thanks for the platform for discussion and hopefully it has caused us each to look a little deeper, and maybe even a little change can occur out of it all.

Oh, yeah, I agree there is hatred towards whites as well, I even have a story from when I was 17 years old, in which I was on the receiving end of white discrimination while visiting the Chicago area. I'll save it for another time.

Aves

My Travels