"Let every individual and institution now think and act as a responsible trustee of Earth, seeking choices in ecology, economics and ethics that will provide a sustainable future, eliminate pollution, poverty and violence, awaken the wonder of life and foster peaceful progress in the human adventure."
- John McConnell, founder of International Earth Day

RIGHT NOW, and then again tomorrow and then again the next day and on it goes day after day,
1/2 OF THE WORLD lives on LESS THAN 2 DOLLARS each day.

Psalm 27:4
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
Do all you can and don't worry about the odds against you. Wield the miracle of life's energy, never worrying whether we fail, concerned only that whether we fail or succeed we do so with all our might. That's all we need to know to feel certain that all our force of diligent effort is worth our while on Earth.
Carl Safina, Voyage of the Turtle

Monday, November 9, 2009

The trip

I had arranged to have my sister care for Tuks and Ve while I was gone, and they enjoyed themselves immensely, except for the fact that they missed me terribly and were anxiously waiting the arrival of their new big sister.

I flew out mid-day on Wednesday (Nov 4) from the airport located only 30 minutes from home. It cost a little more, but I felt it was going to be worth it when we came home.
I arrived in Miami at 10:30pm and had to (again) sleep at the airport. I think I forget that I am 46 and not 26 anymore. I didn't sleep worth a d@@@, sleeping on the floor, the music playing, the announcements over the loud speaker every one minute or so, and then of course the air conditioner. Remember I am a Northerner and I really don't enjoy that artificial cool air blowing on me all night long. Needless to say I had received very little sleep. Not the way I wanted to enter Haiti, so I quickly grabbed myself a cup or two of coffee, and hopped on my plane to Port au Prince. I arrived one hour late since our plane was held up in Miami due to some sort of refueling issue. Apparently M had come with Zaboo to the airport at my expected arrival time and when I didn't show, they left and instructed a driver to pick me up. He was there, can't remember his name. We jumped in his truck and ....it didn't start, so he passed me off to a Brice, his vehicle started, but there was apparently something VERY wrong with his clutch, so he passed me off to a Jerry. Jerry actually did get me to Habitation Hatt, but I had to convince him to drop me off inside the gate rather than on a street near the hotel. I had never been to the Hatt before and I was a little worried that I may disappear and no one would be the wiser. But the fear was not realized and upon arrival Zaboo told me she arranged for me to get picked up, so it made me feel good to know others were waiting for me.

Mim was already swimming at the Hab Hatt pool upon my arrival. It was wonderful to see her.

We stayed all day Thursday, swimming and reconnecting. M arrived that night and brought all my papers for Mim. We stayed that night and then the next day, Friday, we left for the airport around 11:00am and flew out at 1:00ish. We arrived in our home state at 10:30pm and was home in bed by 11:30 pm. Mim was quiet, and I mean quiet on the whole trip. Even now she is quiet. One and half years ago, I left behind a little girl, this year I picked up a teenager..more on this later. Mim is as beautiful, polite, helpful and sweet as I remember.

As for her transition and schooling, I will share at later date...

I enjoyed the Habitation Hatt, but I really missed the people at the Walls. I do want to stay with them again when we return to Haiti.

For those interested in the Habitation Hatt---pictures


the sleeping area

the stairs leading to our room


our room's balcony overlooking the pool


restaurant


sitting area



walkway


getting ready to leave Haiti


riding a bike at home

Ve decided to rake leaves


Tuks showing Mim the sandbox

9 comments:

Steph, G's Mom said...

Wow....just....wow. How awesome. All I can think of to say is

:-D

steph

Not Betty Crocker said...

Yay! This makes me so happy to see all your girls at home.

The pictures of Haiti make me miss that place.

Hope you're all adjusting and getting along well.

Lila

Janet said...

Looks like a nice place I will get the info from you before my next trip.
Hope you are doing well.

veggiemom said...

I'm so happy for you!!! Medina saw Mim's pic and said, "she's a good smiler like me." :-) Hope you have a smooth transition to a family of 4.

Marta said...

Great photos! The Hatt sorta reminds me of Walls. Does that air conditioner in the picture work? I like air conditioning in Haiti. At Miami International, not so much. And I agree, trying to sleep there is crazy=making!

So glad Mim is home and looking forward to more updates! Ava was completely shocked that she no longer had any Creole and that she could not communicate with Mim, I told her we'd try again in the near future.

Leslie said...

WOW--she's home!!! Congratulations! It feels like such a victory when kids from Haiti come home at last. I'm so happy for your family. Praying for all the big transitions.

Salzwedel Family said...

Mim is just beautiful! I am so happy for you all.

Laurie said...

So happy for all of you. Are you taking 9 months off of work? I stayed off 7 months & found it extremely important. When your a single income family though it definetely costs a lot to take that time off.

I hope your transition is going as smoothly as can be expected at this stage.

Ericka said...

Aves,
SOOOOO glad to see your girls all home.
What a journey!
Praying for a smooth transition - sending lots of hugs!!!

My Travels