"Let every individual and institution now think and act as a responsible trustee of Earth, seeking choices in ecology, economics and ethics that will provide a sustainable future, eliminate pollution, poverty and violence, awaken the wonder of life and foster peaceful progress in the human adventure."
- John McConnell, founder of International Earth Day

RIGHT NOW, and then again tomorrow and then again the next day and on it goes day after day,
1/2 OF THE WORLD lives on LESS THAN 2 DOLLARS each day.

Psalm 27:4
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
Do all you can and don't worry about the odds against you. Wield the miracle of life's energy, never worrying whether we fail, concerned only that whether we fail or succeed we do so with all our might. That's all we need to know to feel certain that all our force of diligent effort is worth our while on Earth.
Carl Safina, Voyage of the Turtle

Sunday, October 28, 2007

Geography 101

"the fact that geography is a factor in determining whether she lives or dies...and what kind of life she will live."

Written by Greg and Terri, visiting Dr. Jen in Haiti (linked on the side)

The quote is the very idea that is and has been pounding in me since the day, year 2000, I returned from visiting 3 countries in Africa. It is ever present in my mind and I seem to sift every action and word that others and I make through this thought.

Why do I adopt internationally instead of domestic....for me this is the number one reason why. I believe only people who have not traveled outside of the USA to a developing country will condemn those of us who have, and have chosen to bring a child from another country into our family. Will it change the situation for the majority of the people, NO, will it change the situation for a few, YES, and it has and will continue to change me, and move me into more action and perhaps others that become more aware ... hopefully a global view of this world.

Do children in the USA deserve to be adopted, YES, but I was called, led, impassioned whatever you want to call it, to international adoption... other people have other callings.

Am I saving the life of child, I don't really know, saving them from a life of little to few choices, probably. Do I want them to feel grateful to me for that, NO, but I do hope that they grow up to be content and grateful kids that want to make a global change in this world for others and the environment. Will that happen, I guess I will have to wait and find out as they mature and become adults.

Am I robbing them of their culture, people and heritage, perhaps, but yet I am confused as to the reoccurring discussion by other adoptive parents and others in general..."we are robbing them of their heritage" (developed world perspective), yet when I have traveled to these countries (third world countries), many, certainly not all, want so desperately to come to America, England, etc., to have choices, education, food, care for their children, have no children, etc., The same reason many of our ancestors came to America.

But even though I don't understand this discussion, I am/will purposely be exposing my children to their culture and heritage so that my they can choose how important it is/will be to them. Another choice that they will have.

I am grateful each and every day that I was born in the USA, I could have been born literally anywhere in the world, I could have been living the same life as some of these people do, in other countries, in which every day is a struggle. But I PRAISE GOD, I wasn't. Is it fair, NO, but it is what it is, and believe me I am grateful and I try hard every day not to abuse this situation. I am not dismissing the beauty that also exists in Haiti, Guatemala, Uganda, etc., but for many, every day is a struggle. We take so much for granted, so much, it makes me sad, angry, guilty, overwhelmed, and ashamed, and yet I am grateful too.

I am not really sure what I am saying, or even if I stated it well, but I am for sure just sharing some intense inner thoughts.

Be grateful for what you do have and let the other junk go...........

3 comments:

veggiemom said...

Great, thought-provoking post. I think alot of us have similar feelings about international adoption. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Kerri and Ruby

Marta said...

Thank you for posting my thoughts!Marta

This Mama said...

Great post - I wish I had you at my side in a local chat room where a poster was blasting everyone who adopts intercountry - stating "we should be taking care of our own first" (she adopted domestically). I stated I was an advocate for adoption period - from anywhere.

:) Mandy

My Travels