"Let every individual and institution now think and act as a responsible trustee of Earth, seeking choices in ecology, economics and ethics that will provide a sustainable future, eliminate pollution, poverty and violence, awaken the wonder of life and foster peaceful progress in the human adventure."
- John McConnell, founder of International Earth Day

RIGHT NOW, and then again tomorrow and then again the next day and on it goes day after day,
1/2 OF THE WORLD lives on LESS THAN 2 DOLLARS each day.

Psalm 27:4
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
Do all you can and don't worry about the odds against you. Wield the miracle of life's energy, never worrying whether we fail, concerned only that whether we fail or succeed we do so with all our might. That's all we need to know to feel certain that all our force of diligent effort is worth our while on Earth.
Carl Safina, Voyage of the Turtle

Saturday, April 4, 2009

Gourd Festival & Zoo

We drove almost 2 hours south to attend a Gourd Festival. I learned a bit more about growing them, and still not ready to try the art aspect yet. But I took some photos of some real beautiful pieces of work. It wasn't really a kid thing even though the fliers said there would be kid activities. I bought more seeds, and then girls played on the nearby playground equipment. Later we went to the city's zoo. It turned out to be a great day and the girls were, once again, fantastically behaved on the way there and back.

We saw great blue herons, thousands of Canada geese, sandhill cranes, a bald eagle and red-tailed hawks on the drive.

FESTIVAL

Painted and carved



Wood burned and dyed

Painted


Dremel tooled, dyed and then lightly painted...my favorites!!!

I also ran into another single mom of daughter who was also born in Guatemala. I kind of knew who she was from a yahoo single parents of Guatemalan children group. Again, can't help but say what a small world!!


AT THE ZOO

rhino


grizzly


enthralled

flamingos

playground at the zoo

weeeeeeee


chillin'

always head first for my risk taker Ve

first time on a carousel-wasn't sure what to think, but then she liked it

lovin it'


porcupine



my little animals


chowin' on popcorn


fries and lemonade---yeah I know real healthy-not, but when we go to have fun I really am not overly worried about the nutrition of their chosen foods


on the way home

times two

3 comments:

Marta said...

Loved those gourds, were they for sale? Those are the cutest pictures of the girls at the zoo. Ve looks like she has shot up a few inches already!

veggiemom said...

Looks like a great day!!!

Story of our Life said...

Very sweet pictures.

Was this the Madison Zoo?

My Travels