"Let every individual and institution now think and act as a responsible trustee of Earth, seeking choices in ecology, economics and ethics that will provide a sustainable future, eliminate pollution, poverty and violence, awaken the wonder of life and foster peaceful progress in the human adventure."
- John McConnell, founder of International Earth Day

RIGHT NOW, and then again tomorrow and then again the next day and on it goes day after day,
1/2 OF THE WORLD lives on LESS THAN 2 DOLLARS each day.

Psalm 27:4
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
Do all you can and don't worry about the odds against you. Wield the miracle of life's energy, never worrying whether we fail, concerned only that whether we fail or succeed we do so with all our might. That's all we need to know to feel certain that all our force of diligent effort is worth our while on Earth.
Carl Safina, Voyage of the Turtle

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Problems in Paradise

I received this email from Ve's teacher today:
Ve came in from recess unable to find a mitten. She went back out and looked, but couldn't find it.

Also, yesterday she took a cupcake from our custodian without permission. She took it and then ran away from him. It occurred before school and when she came in she showed me the cupcake and I said, "Where did you get it?" She said, "G." That is the name of the custodian.

This all came back to me because G mentioned it to another teacher and the teacher came to me to let me know. Ve and I talked about it, then she went down apologized to G. Just thought you'd like to know.


This is the email I sent in reply to hers:
Hello,

Thank you for letting me know these things. She told me about the mitten as soon as she arrived home.

As for taking the muffin, I asked her about it once I received your email and she denied the whole thing until I put her on the naughty step. It was then she finally admitted to me that it was true. I have been working and talking with her for some time now about not taking things that don't belong to her and grabbing things from others. It is slow going in getting her to overcome bad habits that she has acquired from being at the orphanage fighting for every little item to call her own.

Thank you for making her apologize and please let others know that we do want to correct and help her change these bad habits. She isn't doing this because she is bad, it is just because it is all she knows thus far. I feel it is all still instinctual from her prior life in Haiti, but that does not mean we should let these things go. I want her to learn that that type of behavior is VERY unacceptable here. I wish G would have talked with you directly rather than let it go and complain to others (I know him from PJ's and he did the same thing there). That won't help her change her ways, rather it may cause others to think negatively of her rather help her overcome this habit.

She came home from school today with a plastic dog that she says she received from you. Is this true? She also came home with 3 bags of popcorn that she told me Brennan gave to her. Is this true, I don't know. I tell you these things because I am still under the belief that it takes a village to raise a child and McKinley is part of her village and the more people to help Ve the quicker her habits will change.

I think the more comfortable she becomes, the more her habits may be showing up. We have really been dealing with certain behaviors in a greater way within the last few weeks at home and I think it will intensify before she has learned some things aren't OK to do.

Thanks for your help and keeping me informed.


I am not too pleased that Ve lied to me about taking the muffin. She absolutely refused to change her story until I put her on the naughty step. I am not sure where these other items came from either. I knew this caching, claiming item problem was something that I would have to deal with in Mim, but since I didn't see any sign with Ve while visiting with her in Haiti, I really had hoped she didn't have this problem. I was wrong. Any good suggestions beside what I plan to do which is place her on the naughty step when she lies and then take privileges away from her whenever I find out that she has taken any thing from others.

4 comments:

Marta said...

I don't know if I have advice, because the issues are different with adopted children from orphanages than with bio children. Although if my bio kids were doing this, I'd be MORE alarmed because they never lived in those circumstances. Although it is not right, it is totally understandable because of how they survived. It's good you were honest and up front with everyone and asked the staff to help. (how can they say no? They can't!)

When I was in the first grade this little boy named David decided he loved me. He used to bring me presents, mostly jewelery on a fairly regular basis. I felt wierd tho because I loved a boy named Richard, lol. Finially he must have brought something expensive and the teacher caught on, who then informed my mother. Of course he was taking it from his mother's jewelry box. I had no idea.(I was 6) My mom made such a big deal out of it, I really felt like I had done something wrong, even though I couldn't put a name to it. My mom assured me I did nothing wrong, but still she talked about it to her friends a bunch, and it made me feel really shamed. And I felt bad for him for getting in trouble with the teacher and his mom, because although what he did was wrong, his little heart was in the right place. But that was the end of that romance.

Not sure what my point is, but just to let you know, it happens. I was 6 and I still remember it well. Just keep working with her. I think she'll eventually come out of it.

veggiemom said...

No suggestions but I definitely think you're on the right track to face the bad behaviors head on, early on. Good luck.

Steph, G's Mom said...

If she is lying because she knows she did wrong and is lying to avoid getting in trouble, this is "good" normal kid lying. And it sounds like her reaction to what you do, finally admitting the truth, is good too. It's headed the way it should. I had to teach G that you may get in trouble for doing something you know you shouldn't, but when you top it off with lying about it, the punishment is worse. This may be hard to convey to Ve right now with her English, but she will get it. Sounds like she and you are on the right track. :)

Calico Sky said...

It is really good that she was able to admit it in the end, hopefully with further discussions & learning she'll begin to understand that you can't just take things.

I really like the name McKinley, might have to go on the name list! :0)

My Travels