"Let every individual and institution now think and act as a responsible trustee of Earth, seeking choices in ecology, economics and ethics that will provide a sustainable future, eliminate pollution, poverty and violence, awaken the wonder of life and foster peaceful progress in the human adventure."
- John McConnell, founder of International Earth Day

RIGHT NOW, and then again tomorrow and then again the next day and on it goes day after day,
1/2 OF THE WORLD lives on LESS THAN 2 DOLLARS each day.

Psalm 27:4
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
Do all you can and don't worry about the odds against you. Wield the miracle of life's energy, never worrying whether we fail, concerned only that whether we fail or succeed we do so with all our might. That's all we need to know to feel certain that all our force of diligent effort is worth our while on Earth.
Carl Safina, Voyage of the Turtle

Monday, April 13, 2009

Ve’s fourth month Update.


Enjoying a bowl of popcorn. One of her favorite foods.

I want to take some time in talking about some of Ve’s orphanage survival behaviors that I have noticed. Being a person who is very familiar with animal behaviors, I can’t help but notice the similarity between some of Ve’s survival behaviors and an animal’s survival behavior. All purely instinctual. It is quite fascinating, aggravating, and sometimes it frightens me to think we may not be able to turn them around to more typical, acceptable behaviors. I also wanted to record them in the blog since it will be fun to look back and see that many of these survival behaviors have been extinguished with time.

The first behavior is what I call “CLAIMING”. Once Ve has attached her self to an item of her liking, she will lay claim to the item and make darn well sure Tuks does not have it or touch it. She has claimed it as her own. It will go to bed with her, lay around in her cached pile, and even be forgotten, but Tuks had not better touch it. I, of course don’t allow this to happen once I notice it is going on. Items and gifts that are truly Ve’s, I allow her to claim, items or gifts that are shared, I remind Ve constantly that it is hers and Tuks. Sometimes, when I get frustrated with all the arguing over things. I make a point in telling both girls that the said items are actually in fact mine, Mamas, but I am choosing to share them with both of the girls. It works every time.

Another behavior is “STALKING”. For example in one situation, I had given Tuks a 0-3 month old diaper that had come in the mail so that she could place it on her Bear bear. The minute I had done this, without thinking of course, I saw my mistake. Ve’s eyes light up and it was obvious she WANTED that diaper. Yet, it was too late, it was already in Tuks possession. So I would say for a good 30 plus minutes, Tuks played with the diaper and Ve followed her around literally from room to room, quietly watching and waiting for Tuks to put the diaper down. The minute it was out of Tuks hands, Ve grabbed it up and placed it on Bear bear. It was at that moment that Ve was satisfied and could move on to another toy. I was extremely amazed at her diligence in waiting it out for the one chance to grab the diaper. I don’t step in on this action unless I see that there might be a problem created between the two. So far it has been ok.

When Ve sees a new food on her plate, or on the counter being prepared for a meal, she picks it up and “SNIFFS” it. Just like an animal would do. I would imagine this would come from finding food where ever she could and then sniffing it before trying it. I have gotten on her many times to not sniff the food and this behavior is slowly coming around.

If Ve notices an item of interest in Tuks possession, she will “GRAB” it right out of Tuks hands. Now, Tuks response is to usually smack Ve. A behavior I have been working on getting Tuks to stop. Yet, I can’t blame Tuks when Ve just grabs items away from her. This behavior is also slowly improving. I have seen Ve start to grab, then pause look at me, and then stop her actions because she knows she is not to do this. I have taught her to ask for an item with the understanding the party holding the coveted item may say no.

If Ve knows where we are heading she will quickly “RACE” ahead of Tuks to reach the desired item or location to ensure she gets first choice, first chance, or best option. I remind Ve not to race ahead of Tuks, but to walk along side of her. This is what sisters and family do and mean to each other. Sharing, walking, loving, not competing. Ever so slowly she seems to be getting it.

Our love for each other as a family is growing in leaps and bounds. Though the girls get into sibling spats, they truly do love each other. My love for Ve is also growing exponentially as well. The more we are able to communicate, the better we understand and are able to share our thoughts, feelings, and wants with each other.

Ve fits into our family extremely well. She is quite adaptable, lovable and as I have said earlier, funny. She loves nothing more than to laugh. She still is not too fond of the weather even though to me it is so much nicer. Her request each morning is for two shirts to keep her warm. She plays outside with as much vigor and energy as Tuks does now. She has explored much of the yard, even though she checks in often to see what and where I am working in the yard. I look forward to each and every day that I spend with her. She is a joy!!

7 comments:

Not Betty Crocker said...

Thanks for sharing all that you do. I think I've told you this before but I love the updates because it helps me know what to expect. She soulds like she is doing so good. I'm very happy she is home with her family.

Steph, G's Mom said...

That is a fabulous update....Ve reminds me so so much of G...and the sniffing....I never stopped to imagine why she'd sniff food, as she went to Marie's at 2.25 yrs old and am not sure she was ever scrounging for food, but she does the same exact thing with new food. However I'm not so sure that it's a bad thing! It's why we have noses! G also is really big on being FIRST. I remember once we were coming back from a river outing, we were in a 2 car caravan. We had been in the lead but after a quick pullover, they pulled out first and we went second....G just was DEVASTATED and had practically a meltdown fit that we were not going first. I was never sure if it was all due to her age...Kindy kids, aren't they all about going first? But I bet some of it is orphanage related. That, and the sniffing, and the cleaning her plate at daycare. Other than that I don't see much anymore. I can hardly wait for Mim to join you guys and see the three of them together! I bet Mim will be a great big sister! :)

steph

Calico Sky said...

I can relate to so much of this from the elder two I blog about whose background created very similar survival tactics. Like you I talked it out, showed another way and slowly but surely things started to change.
I'm so pleased that things are progressing so well on all fronts with your family. It is a joy to watch from the sidelines :0)

Marta said...

When I went to the older kids house in PAP (Christmas 2007) I saw things I never saw before and have never seen since. It was the O, unplugged...I think our visit was a surprise. I blogged it, but not extensively because circumstances in orphanages, Haiti included, really cannot be sugarcoated, and I did not want to freak people out that had kids there. I couldn't take it anymore after about 30 minutes. Also, I did not want to give any naysayers ammo for misconstruing. The circumstances are wrenching, but in many ways better than where many of them came from, and they are at least eating! I guess this is true for most impoverished countries, not just Haiti.

I saw your girls there that day, and I understand perfectly why Ve does what she does. Because she CAN! The big kids rule there, and she was not a big kid. She probably sees Tuks is littler than her; therefore beatable. It must be hard for Ve to alter her behavior after surviving in it for so long. Survival behavior is only good for as long as you are in the situation it calls for. After that, it does not serve well as she is finding out at a young age.

It sounds like you are definitely on the right track and things are improving. It takes time. And I too love your updates!

Remind me in a few months I said that!

Marta said...

Whoops, I meant remind me about 'it takes time' Please continue with the updates indefinitely!

Sarah said...

Thank you so much for the updates. I learn so much from them.

What I worry about, in bringing home 2 four-year old boys, when I have a 6.5 year old and a 3.5 year old in the home, is that I'm going to "write off" much of their behavior as age-appropriate behavior and not see the bigger picture of adoption-related issues. My bio kids, and most bio kids I know, all claim/stalk/grab and race. My 6.5 year old is a sniffer.

I am so appreciative of you writing all of this because it's giving me a lot of "food for thought" and hopefully I'll be a better parent to our two little guys for it.

Thanks!

veggiemom said...

What an interesting update. I've never noticed the stalking thing before but now that you've mentioned it, Medina totally does that, not so much with things but with things that Ruby does. Ruby likes to turn the tv off. Medina never thought about it until Ruby wanted to and now Medina always wants too. Same for pushing the button on the garage door opener and getting the newspaper from the driveway. Very interesting. Sounds like you have a really good handle on Ve's behaviors though.

My Travels