"Let every individual and institution now think and act as a responsible trustee of Earth, seeking choices in ecology, economics and ethics that will provide a sustainable future, eliminate pollution, poverty and violence, awaken the wonder of life and foster peaceful progress in the human adventure."
- John McConnell, founder of International Earth Day

RIGHT NOW, and then again tomorrow and then again the next day and on it goes day after day,
1/2 OF THE WORLD lives on LESS THAN 2 DOLLARS each day.

Psalm 27:4
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
Do all you can and don't worry about the odds against you. Wield the miracle of life's energy, never worrying whether we fail, concerned only that whether we fail or succeed we do so with all our might. That's all we need to know to feel certain that all our force of diligent effort is worth our while on Earth.
Carl Safina, Voyage of the Turtle

Thursday, June 25, 2009

One

of the things with an older child adoption is the constant teaching, I mean CONSTANT. CONSTANT. Things I never would have thought to have to go over, and maybe it is my naivete, but it is one thing or another day after day. What it means is that you have to be vigilant about staying on top of things otherwise issues creep up on you that you weren't expecting. I have stated before Ve has some issues, not huge (at least I don't think so, but that could be my Pollyanna speaking), but issues none the less that need to be addressed and brought to her awareness for correction. CONSTANTLY!! You may go over proper behavior and specific expectations and she states she understands and lo and behold if she doesn't repeat the unwanted/undesirable behavior again the next day. Thank God I am off for the summer, I have more patience and more energy than when I am working a full time job and being a full time Mom. For 10 weeks I am a full time Mom exclusively and how sweet it is to be able to really focus in on my family.

3 comments:

Marta said...

I can relate, I wish I had 10 weeks off too! Although it just depends on the child ...my girls usually 'get it' after one or two times, except for normal childish behavior issues...which I would have with any child. Just right now dealing with language barrier and regular issues makes it harder. But they are fairly well adjusted and I attribute that to their family life before the O. My impression is that your experience with Mim will be similar to mine. Ve is fortunate that you have the time to work with her on these valuable skills/life lessons, it will pay off in the long run.

Calico Sky said...

I can well relate from my days of fostering. Hopefully the extra time with you over the summer will help her to remember her new life and let go of the anxieties, stressors and behaviours that become the norm with orphanage life.

It is obvious to us all what a great mom you are! I'm sure Ve will continue to blossom!

Leslie said...

It's great that you have this concentrated time with them. It is challenging to try to squeeze these lessons in at night and on the weekend. It sounds like you are doing great!

My Travels