"Let every individual and institution now think and act as a responsible trustee of Earth, seeking choices in ecology, economics and ethics that will provide a sustainable future, eliminate pollution, poverty and violence, awaken the wonder of life and foster peaceful progress in the human adventure."
- John McConnell, founder of International Earth Day

RIGHT NOW, and then again tomorrow and then again the next day and on it goes day after day,
1/2 OF THE WORLD lives on LESS THAN 2 DOLLARS each day.

Psalm 27:4
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
Do all you can and don't worry about the odds against you. Wield the miracle of life's energy, never worrying whether we fail, concerned only that whether we fail or succeed we do so with all our might. That's all we need to know to feel certain that all our force of diligent effort is worth our while on Earth.
Carl Safina, Voyage of the Turtle

Saturday, May 29, 2010

Egg Money Talks

Mim has no clue as to the economy in America, and of course this is for obvious reasons. She believes that I make my living by selling the eggs, the whole whopping $24.00 each month. Now I realize in Haiti that would be great money and one could feed the whole household with the egg money.

This spring, we have looked at several places with land, and Mim keeps asking what is the cost of a home with 5+ acres. I ask her what she thinks and she usually states $360.00. Perspective is WAY off.




Today we went to Walmart to purchase items for her birthday party. It ended coming to over $222.00. I pointed this out to her (to start teaching her the true costs of items), and she couldn't believe the cost. She asked it I bought it with the egg money. I shared with her how much I actually do earn as my job as a teacher. She was amazed. I worry that I have so little time in teaching her all she needs to know before she is out on her own. Six - 7 years really isn't that long and then she will be in the next phase of her life....I sure have my work cut out for me, and good thing she is a motivated and easy learner.

No comments:

My Travels