"Let every individual and institution now think and act as a responsible trustee of Earth, seeking choices in ecology, economics and ethics that will provide a sustainable future, eliminate pollution, poverty and violence, awaken the wonder of life and foster peaceful progress in the human adventure."
- John McConnell, founder of International Earth Day

RIGHT NOW, and then again tomorrow and then again the next day and on it goes day after day,
1/2 OF THE WORLD lives on LESS THAN 2 DOLLARS each day.

Psalm 27:4
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
Do all you can and don't worry about the odds against you. Wield the miracle of life's energy, never worrying whether we fail, concerned only that whether we fail or succeed we do so with all our might. That's all we need to know to feel certain that all our force of diligent effort is worth our while on Earth.
Carl Safina, Voyage of the Turtle

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Conferences

I had Ve's conference tonight. Her reading ability has jumped from a DRA 1 to DRA 6...huge jump, her addition is OK, and she needs help on her subtraction. Ve's behavior is great. I almost felt like I was hearing about a completely different girl. It was quite an amazing conference. I strongly feel that Ve's reading, spelling and writing has improved so much due to the sight word flash cards I require her to do daily. I started this last spring and she has improved dramatically since. Her teacher also said that Ve was a "ruler follower", pretty good for a girl who really didn't know the difference between right and wrong a few years ago.

I also saw Mim's reading level...Below Basic...Now I know why this is, but it was about this time after home arrival that I started having Ve work with flash cards, so I informed Mim that tonight she is now required to do the cards daily as well. She balked at first, she has incredible pride, but I told her that is the only way her reading will improve, so she finally consented to my "demands". I haven't pushed her as hard in certain learning strategies simply because she was much older, but I think that has been a bad decision. She feels she is too old to do some of these basic rote strategies, but in fact she needs them to build a firm foundation for her next level of learning.

As for Tuki's dance conference, the words used to describe her were: "she has a BIG personality", "she loves to be a line leader', and "she is a visual learner", many of the same things her 4K teacher said...I guess Tuki remains true to herself...and I must say both teachers were correct in their observations.

No comments:

My Travels