"Let every individual and institution now think and act as a responsible trustee of Earth, seeking choices in ecology, economics and ethics that will provide a sustainable future, eliminate pollution, poverty and violence, awaken the wonder of life and foster peaceful progress in the human adventure."
- John McConnell, founder of International Earth Day

RIGHT NOW, and then again tomorrow and then again the next day and on it goes day after day,
1/2 OF THE WORLD lives on LESS THAN 2 DOLLARS each day.

Psalm 27:4
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
Do all you can and don't worry about the odds against you. Wield the miracle of life's energy, never worrying whether we fail, concerned only that whether we fail or succeed we do so with all our might. That's all we need to know to feel certain that all our force of diligent effort is worth our while on Earth.
Carl Safina, Voyage of the Turtle

Sunday, November 7, 2010

We adopted each other

Since it is National Adoption Month and this comment just came up again yesterday, I thought I would share how I usually handle the "you are so good to have adopted the girls blah blah blah".

Yesterday we had an all day basketball tournament for Mim. The team played 4 games nearly straight in a row. Without a doubt, Mim is lowest skilled on the team, and understandably so since she just started playing whereas the other girls have been playing for years. The first game she wasn't put in AT ALL...I was peeved, Mim was disheartened. I didn't say anything to the coach waiting to see what would happen in the next game. Game two; she played a little each quarter, much better, I was good with this and more importantly Mim felt good about it too. We ate lunch after the second game.

Third Game: Mim played a lot...fantastic and she did a great job and she had many compliments from her teammates and her teammates parents. She felt GREAT!!

Now there was a small break. A sister of a teammate knew Ve, so she was hanging out with us. She started asking many, many questions about adoption. We tend to get this as a family when we first appear in new groups of people. We tend to stand out, even tho we forget that we stand out. She started telling me the statement that I had started this post with "you are such a blah blah blah". I answered her the same way I answer that statement for any who say a similar thing.

my typical response is

"If that is the case, then the girls are just as good and incredible because they adopted me as their Mother, and they adopted each other as sisters. We all adopted each other. WOW, aren't we a COOL family?"

The usual response, from old and young alike is "Yes you are a cool family" Topic done, and me and my daughters walk away thinking we are a cool family and we just educated others that we are indeed a cool family. Which of course, we are!!! LOL Naturally we have deeper and heavier discussion on this topic at home, but for members outside the family, I feel my response works perfectly!!

Back to the Basketball game four: we won, Mim was played a little in the 3rd quarter and our team placed 3rd out of 7 teams. After, we drove to grandma's house for a family party. Ve and Tuki were also well behaved the entire time, so we all think it was a great day!!

We left the house at 9:00am and returned at 9:30pm...long day and a HUGE shout out of thanks to Kiki for coming over and making sure the dogs were well cared for while we were gone.

No comments:

My Travels