"Let every individual and institution now think and act as a responsible trustee of Earth, seeking choices in ecology, economics and ethics that will provide a sustainable future, eliminate pollution, poverty and violence, awaken the wonder of life and foster peaceful progress in the human adventure."
- John McConnell, founder of International Earth Day

RIGHT NOW, and then again tomorrow and then again the next day and on it goes day after day,
1/2 OF THE WORLD lives on LESS THAN 2 DOLLARS each day.

Psalm 27:4
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
Do all you can and don't worry about the odds against you. Wield the miracle of life's energy, never worrying whether we fail, concerned only that whether we fail or succeed we do so with all our might. That's all we need to know to feel certain that all our force of diligent effort is worth our while on Earth.
Carl Safina, Voyage of the Turtle

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

What is America?

me and the girls had this conversation last night.

America was one of Ve's sight words. She correctly sounded it out and said proudly "America". I congratulated her and then asked her "What is America?" She thought for a moment and then said "Barak Obama" I said "Barak is the President of America but he is not America?" She kept saying "I just want to say Barak, because he is cool" Typical for Ve she tends to stick with her first guess for a long time before moving on to another.

So then I turned to Mim and asked her the same question. She gave me many examples of countries, Mexico, Haiti, I kept saying "close but what are these examples of?" she then gave examples of states and cities and I said "no, much bigger, those are cities and states" She could not tell me what America was.

All of a sudden Tuki is standing in front of me, looking intently with her hands moving (she talks with her hands when she is focused on sharing information) Tuki says "America is like a. a. a. Country!! I exclaimed "Yes Tuki you are right!" I was over the moon, and I was floored, that she got this correct. As I have stated in previous posts, sometimes I feel she is too smart for her own good.

No comments:

My Travels