"Let every individual and institution now think and act as a responsible trustee of Earth, seeking choices in ecology, economics and ethics that will provide a sustainable future, eliminate pollution, poverty and violence, awaken the wonder of life and foster peaceful progress in the human adventure."
- John McConnell, founder of International Earth Day

RIGHT NOW, and then again tomorrow and then again the next day and on it goes day after day,
1/2 OF THE WORLD lives on LESS THAN 2 DOLLARS each day.

Psalm 27:4
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
Do all you can and don't worry about the odds against you. Wield the miracle of life's energy, never worrying whether we fail, concerned only that whether we fail or succeed we do so with all our might. That's all we need to know to feel certain that all our force of diligent effort is worth our while on Earth.
Carl Safina, Voyage of the Turtle

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Routine

Tuki likes routine and she hates transitions. Simple transitions such as getting out of the car to get in the house after I pick her up from Angie's school will sometimes set her off into a tirade. I noticed many years ago that she does much better with everything if I tell her what is coming next after next after next. She needs to know to feel safe and secure.

I say this because the last two days have been very hard on Tuki. Angie School has been closed since Monday. Angie and her son has pneumonia. My friend W watched Tuki for the last two mornings, and Tuki loves going there, BUT it isn't the normal routine. W watched Tuki until noon in which she then dropped her off at 4K. Yesterday I picked her up from 4K (normally the bus takes her back to Angie's), and then today Kiki picked her up since I had a meeting until after 4:00pm. Kiki brought her home just around 4:00pm and then Tuki, Ve and Mim were home waiting for my arrival, which was about 5 - 10 minutes later. I drove into the driveway and there I see Tuki sitting next to the door staring out at me. She was crying. I get out of the car and she greets me at the door crying even harder. I thought she was going to tell me that one of her sisters did something that made her cry. But, that wasn't the case. She burst out in tears "I missed you" and started crying harder.

I knew then the last two days were over the top for her. She held it together like a champ for W, Kiki and her 4K teacher, but when I got home she had had enough...After a few hugs and words of understanding she was all better, and she insisted well enough to attend AWANA tonight, and attend she did and she was fine. Thank goodness Angie's school is open tomorrow. Back to our routine. It may be busy but it is our routine and we all find comfort in it.

1 comment:

Jane said...

This happens at our house, too. C holds it together until she sees me, then just falls apart. And her favorite 'game' is to ask me, "And den?..." She always has to know the next 3, 4 or 100 things that are coming next!

My Travels