"Let every individual and institution now think and act as a responsible trustee of Earth, seeking choices in ecology, economics and ethics that will provide a sustainable future, eliminate pollution, poverty and violence, awaken the wonder of life and foster peaceful progress in the human adventure."
- John McConnell, founder of International Earth Day

RIGHT NOW, and then again tomorrow and then again the next day and on it goes day after day,
1/2 OF THE WORLD lives on LESS THAN 2 DOLLARS each day.

Psalm 27:4
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
Do all you can and don't worry about the odds against you. Wield the miracle of life's energy, never worrying whether we fail, concerned only that whether we fail or succeed we do so with all our might. That's all we need to know to feel certain that all our force of diligent effort is worth our while on Earth.
Carl Safina, Voyage of the Turtle

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

We stayed home

Tuki's 4k concert was tonight. So was her cousin's N. Tuki's was to start at 6:00 pm and N's at 7:00pm. This morning and yesterday I informed Tuki that when I picked her up from Angie's school tonight, we would go directly home and then she'd go take a quick nap before the concert. She was in agreement that this was good and she was excited about her performance tonight. Kiki was planning to attend as well.

Immediately upon arrival at Angie's school, I could tell she was in one of her moods. She told me she didn't need a nap, and started crying (the indication that she was truly tired and indeed needed a nap) I told her when we arrived home, she would go straight to bed and sleep until I woke her for supper. She bulked, but still slept a good 45 minutes. When I woke her, she started crying all over again. We were 1 hour from the start of the concert and 45 minutes from when she needed to be there. I told her she needed to either stop crying or we would stay home. She kept crying. I even tried to have Kiki talk her out of it over the phone. She wouldn't quit. I informed her we would be staying home.




At 5:45 pm, nine minutes from the start of her concert, she called to me telling me she was ready to be nice.

I went up to her and explained that I was glad she was ready but it is too late to go to her concert. We talked about her choice in being naughty. I also explained to her that I was also sad because I wanted to see her all dressed up and pretty and singing. She was sad. I feel like crying over the whole ordeal, but hopefully she will have learned that she can't act this way and get what she wants.

I know she is only 5, and there will be more concert and dance recitals, but I also know that this performing is "her thang" and she won't be able to have fun with it tonight and we won't be able to watch cousin N perform either. It is all so sad and hard sometimes but lessons sometimes are learned the hard way and I do pray Tuki learned her lesson tonight.

As I am writing this she is quietly in the kitchen pouring herself some cereal to eat for supper...since the hamburgers I made and were left for her, were gobbled up by Rembrandt, who was left alone in the kitchen, when I was dealing with Tuki, and the other two were busy outside.
Her quietness leads me to believe that the lesson perhaps has sunk in.

Sometimes life sucks!!

EDITED : she came to me and said "sorry"

EDITED AGAIN: another round of crying and defiance before bedtime...no lesson learned!?....we'll try again tomorrow.

1 comment:

Jane said...

oh man. Been there, but might not have been quite as strong as you in the follow through! Way to go, Mom!

My Travels