"Let every individual and institution now think and act as a responsible trustee of Earth, seeking choices in ecology, economics and ethics that will provide a sustainable future, eliminate pollution, poverty and violence, awaken the wonder of life and foster peaceful progress in the human adventure."
- John McConnell, founder of International Earth Day

RIGHT NOW, and then again tomorrow and then again the next day and on it goes day after day,
1/2 OF THE WORLD lives on LESS THAN 2 DOLLARS each day.

Psalm 27:4
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
Do all you can and don't worry about the odds against you. Wield the miracle of life's energy, never worrying whether we fail, concerned only that whether we fail or succeed we do so with all our might. That's all we need to know to feel certain that all our force of diligent effort is worth our while on Earth.
Carl Safina, Voyage of the Turtle

Saturday, June 22, 2013

my facebook statement

My response to Melissa Etheridge's comment about Angelina Jolie decision..I know many don't care but I wanted to get it out.

 August 2011, I was diagnosed with LCIS, a non-invasive form of breast cancer, 60% chance of turning into invasive in 10 - 15 years My daughters at the time were 6, 8 and 14. .

My mother was first diagnosed with breast cancer when she was 35, I was 5, I lived my life with cancer and that cancer eventually killed my Mom when she was 50, I was 20. At age 6 or 7, I started making very conscious choices in how I lived my life, extremely healthy, food and exercise wise. So much so my Mom was concerned about me doing this at such a young age.

It didn't matter, at age 48, I was positive, the docs said don't worry we can monitor heavily, 0% chance reduction, take tamoxifen 50% chance prevention, double mastectomy with reconstruction, 95% chance of prevention. After 10 months of heavy research and worry, I choose the last option since I had no desire to put my daughters through what I had gone through as a child and I didn't want to go through what my mother had gone through.

I ended up choosing double mastectomy with DIEP flap reconstruction (my own flesh), 2012 was a difficult year, but now on the latter end, I feel so much better and stronger. It was the right decision for me and my family. I support AJ and her decision, it was a brave decision and a courageous decision based on the circumstances of her life. Though I doubt she cares little about what I or anyone else thinks since she did what was right for her family.

I personally feel much better since the operation, and I am glad that AJ made such a decision public, it makes it easier to talk about. Before her announcing what she did, I told very few people what I was doing, but now her announcement has created a platform for me to talk about my last 1 1/2 years and that has been healthy for me.

I am a school teacher thus felt the need to stay quiet since it was a relatively unheard of procedure in my local small town...now everyone knows of it because of AJ, and it seems to be accepted with ease as well.

1 comment:

Jane said...

I didn't really 'get' why AJ's decision was so news worthy. She did what she thought was best. And you did, too. Glad you're feeling better and hope that continues each day this summer!

My Travels