"Let every individual and institution now think and act as a responsible trustee of Earth, seeking choices in ecology, economics and ethics that will provide a sustainable future, eliminate pollution, poverty and violence, awaken the wonder of life and foster peaceful progress in the human adventure."
- John McConnell, founder of International Earth Day

RIGHT NOW, and then again tomorrow and then again the next day and on it goes day after day,
1/2 OF THE WORLD lives on LESS THAN 2 DOLLARS each day.

Psalm 27:4
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
Do all you can and don't worry about the odds against you. Wield the miracle of life's energy, never worrying whether we fail, concerned only that whether we fail or succeed we do so with all our might. That's all we need to know to feel certain that all our force of diligent effort is worth our while on Earth.
Carl Safina, Voyage of the Turtle

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Saw-whet Owl banding & FFF

We, Kiki, Tuks and I went Saw-whet owl banding tonight. My friend W & R home school their 2 children, and they belong to a homeschooling group. It seems that W is the event and/or extended curriculum coordinator, and she planned this owl banding night. Fortunately for Tuks and I we were also invited. Three owls had been caught tonight. They set up a mist nest in a circle (sort of) around speakers that are broadcasting the mating call of the saw-whets. Since Saw-whets are migratory, many are caught, banded, data collected and then released back into he wild. They also do programs for the general public during the 2 months of banding to educate and also to raise some funds to continue the study. Tuks was pretty good considering it was late, she was the youngest there and sometimes she felt scaredy (her term) of the owls, even though we tell her she is brave, she does not always believe us.LOL


G showing the group the mist net. Very difficult to see.


You can see what Tuks thinks of the owl calls..could her eyes get any bigger?


adult saw-whet, the smallest owl native to our state and eastern USA


G showing us the ear size and location..nearly their whole side of the head is made up of the ear opening...the better to hear with


Up close and personal


Kiki, Tuks and an owl


Me, Tuks and an owl


the owl's release back into the wild

And who did I vote for this time around?? Well I am one of those voters that can go either way with each election. My two strongest issues are pro-life (tend to be Rep minded), but I am also pro-environment (tend to be Demo minded). This election,
after hearing Obama's energy plan, I just couldn't vote any other way..Obama all the way baby!!!!!!! So YEAH for change, and yeah for a step forward in making history.

7 comments:

Not Betty Crocker said...

I love the picture of Tuki's eyes-that cracked me up. I probably would have had a similar expression on my face. Looks like a fun night.

Salzwedel Family said...

Yes, Tuk's eyes were huge! What a cool thing to be involved in.

Rebekah said...

What an amazing experience! I am jealous - it looks like a truly great time with those beautiful owls ... and I love Tuki's face! How cute! Thanks for sharing ... Hope you have a wonderful weekened!

Hugs from SNOWY Minnesota!

Rebekah - Jaden - Baby#2 too

Anonymous said...

Wow what amazing pictures or those gorgeous owls!!!!!!

How cool is that?!!!
Tukis eyes are soooooooo funny in that picture..She is such a doll!!!

Hugs,Leslie

veggiemom said...

Love that second pic - those eyes!!!

Sarah said...

What a cool adventure! I love her face!

Sarah said...

Awesome pics--I too love the one of Tuk's eyes with the owl!

My Travels