"Let every individual and institution now think and act as a responsible trustee of Earth, seeking choices in ecology, economics and ethics that will provide a sustainable future, eliminate pollution, poverty and violence, awaken the wonder of life and foster peaceful progress in the human adventure."
- John McConnell, founder of International Earth Day

RIGHT NOW, and then again tomorrow and then again the next day and on it goes day after day,
1/2 OF THE WORLD lives on LESS THAN 2 DOLLARS each day.

Psalm 27:4
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
Do all you can and don't worry about the odds against you. Wield the miracle of life's energy, never worrying whether we fail, concerned only that whether we fail or succeed we do so with all our might. That's all we need to know to feel certain that all our force of diligent effort is worth our while on Earth.
Carl Safina, Voyage of the Turtle

Sunday, March 8, 2009

My Well is Dry

Lately, like for the last month I have been feeling an extreme amount of internal stress. It has nothing to do with Ve’s transition and Tuks’ adjustment. They are doing so well. It is ME that is really adjusting, grieving, conditioning hard.

1. I am grieving the loss of one on one time with Tuks.

2. I am adjusting to having two children in the house and all the extra energy that goes with it.

3. I am conditioning to the sense of responsibility that I feel for two and soon three children.

4. I am tired of the looks from others since I have no idea what thoughts are behind the looks.

5. I am exhausted from guiding Tuks and Ve through the journeys of becoming sisters in every way. They are acting very normal, but it can be tiring sometimes.

6. I am anxious and angry as to how little patience I have for naughty, disrespectful students. They have always been that way, but this year due to everything else, it is getting to me. I feel like I have been catapalted back into my first few years of teaching.

7. I am lonely because I know no one immediately around me who will/does understand my feelings and can listen without judgment.

8. I am pissed as to the amount of biased/racist actions I see around me and then when I express it, others (caucasians) try to down play or justify it.

9. I am tired of how many people from my past seek me out when they need me to listen and/or be there for them, yet I have had only one friend (W, thanks) in my town reach out to me offering relief if I need it. Usually people contact me because they want me to be the strong one and they can be the one with the needs. I have been avoiding those people for now because like I said, my well is dry. I have nothing to give them.

10. I don’t like the extra weight I am carrying around my waist even though I work out 3 - 4 times each week. WTF, I should just stay home for the good it is doing me.

12. I especially don’t like anything about myself right now, things like my mothering, teaching, or friendship skills suck .

13. I especially don’t like feeling all the things I have mentioned above because I know that in time it will pass, and 1 year from now I will forget all about today.

14. I am also tired of dieing to myself, once I recognized my weaknesses in parenting and probably in life in general, with the help of God, I have been working on extracting them. It hurts and is exhausting!!!

15. I am spent of trying to feel love for Ve the same as I do Tuks. My love for her gets stronger all the time, but I am anxious for the day that it is AS powerful as the love I feel for Tuks. GUILT is heavy!!!

Even though I read so much before the girl’s homecoming, the reading doesn’t ever include a person’s own unique set of emotions that they bring to the situation. The book presents facts, logical information, but it tends to be our own emotions that seem to determine how we adjust to changes. Changes, good or bad, bring all sorts of new and strong feelings. Add a little peri-menopause in there and whew, boy can it get messy sometimes.

Then,to top it off, rearing children is like putting a mirror up to your face and looking intently at one’s own weaknesses. Children have a way of bringing them out.

Two weaknesses that are getting the heck kicked out of them for me are: the lack of patience, and a high sense for me to control my surroundings. In order to survive this parenting chapter, I will need to become more patient, and less controlling of my surroundings. It is hard when this has been my life for over 20 years or more. I imagine this is what people go through when they first marry, but since I have yet to marry, I am going through it with my children. Ve is much more self-reliant than Tuks. I am not accustomed to this. I need to let go in some situations, and I find this hard.

In addition, according to Caesar Milan, I (all people) need to ooze to those around me (them), calm assertiveness. I think I ooze nervous excitement. If one can tell by the actions of one’s dogs, as Caesar has shared on his shows, then I ooze too much energy. My dogs are full of energy, my daughters are full of energy and so I will assume I ooze this to all around me. When I was younger with little responsibility and both parents were alive, my dogs tended to be easy going mellow companions. Yet since I have been adult, and the passing of my parents all my dogs have been full of energy and excitable. That has to be from me, feeling unsettled within my spirit and soul. I am glad I know this now because I should be able to rest in God’s peace and assurances to care for my daughters and me. I like my energy, but sometimes I ooze the wrong sort of energy, and that is what I want to work on. My hope is to give all that I have shared above to God on a daily basis. If you are the praying kind, would you please join me. Thank you! Help fill my well again......Please

4 comments:

Not Betty Crocker said...

I am so sorry. I wish I could fly up there for a week and help take care of things like laundry and dishes, etc. so you could relax. I do listen really well and if you don't mind paying for a call to Texas I'm all ears.

I appreciate what you said about the reading. I feel like I have read volumes and wonder how I will react in certain situations because I am me. I'm sure I won't always act like the book suggests.

Hang in there. I think you're a wonderful mom. Sending hugs and prayers your way!

Steph, G's Mom said...

Hey girl....i know i went thru a lot of these feelings after G got home. I was grieving what I had given up and was I doing all this properly? G was so defiant sometimes I felt like there was no way she was going to come thru this normal, and what would life be like THEN?

Ve is affectionate, right? I mean she wants to sleep on you or snuggle with you all the time? do you guys sometims just snuggle in a big ole dogpile? wait till you add Mim too! :P

Anonymous said...

Hey, this is Amy Ruston. I can SO relate to many of the things you listed. Though I am not single I often feel like I raise three kids by myself. :) Not because I have a bad husband, but just because I am home and he works. I would be glad to listen anytime you need someone who will never judge....I have had feelings that I don't like to admit too. :) Anyway, just wanted to say I think you are doing a great job and if you ever want to chat or get together (I'm only a few minutes away from you) please feel free to mail me.
Amy
aandbruston@charter.net

Calico Sky said...

So sorry you are having such a tough time. I think we all have times like this where our wells dry up. I remember when my adoption fell apart not ONE person in the singles group of adopters (I started and ran) offered any support at all, no cards, flowers, visits, phone calls etc. Yet, a couple of months later when some of them wanted to switch programs they emailed me for info. Somtimes, sadly we really do learn who our friend's are.

I also marvel at how well you are doing, even if you feel you aren't. I'm amazed at how able you were to go back to work, cope with parenting two children while adopting a third. You are obviously very very strong, let's hope it isn't too long before your summer vacation where you will have more time for 1:1 and hopefully the chance to de-stress some, or FMLA which ever comes first ;0)

Hang in there, April is almost here!!

My Travels