"Let every individual and institution now think and act as a responsible trustee of Earth, seeking choices in ecology, economics and ethics that will provide a sustainable future, eliminate pollution, poverty and violence, awaken the wonder of life and foster peaceful progress in the human adventure."
- John McConnell, founder of International Earth Day

RIGHT NOW, and then again tomorrow and then again the next day and on it goes day after day,
1/2 OF THE WORLD lives on LESS THAN 2 DOLLARS each day.

Psalm 27:4
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
Do all you can and don't worry about the odds against you. Wield the miracle of life's energy, never worrying whether we fail, concerned only that whether we fail or succeed we do so with all our might. That's all we need to know to feel certain that all our force of diligent effort is worth our while on Earth.
Carl Safina, Voyage of the Turtle

Friday, March 20, 2009

Oh I forgot


another new sighting this week on my morning runs. Not as beautiful as some, but definitely worth noticing. BTW, I have decided to use my blog as a wildlife notebook as well. Since I have been blogging for several years, it is fun to look back at the spring arrivals and see how close in dates the birds arrive and mammals wake up. I must say too, they are close...Nature is so cyclical, so beautiful and so amazingly inspiring, sometimes I can't get enough of it.

The Common Grackle is an opportunistic feeder, varying an insect and grain diet with crayfish, frogs, mice, and both the eggs and the young of small birds. During courtship, it jerks its body, lowers wing, tail, and head, and squeals. It also exhibits its long, conspicuous tail in display flight. In some northern areas it congregates by the thousands during migration as well as in winter roosts. This species is smaller and lacks the strong sex differences of the Great-tailed Grackle.

description 12" (30 cm). Jay-sized. Long, wedge-shaped tail displaying a longitudinal ridge or keel when in flight. Appears all black at a distance but is actually highly iridescent, with colors varying from blue to purple to green to bronze, depending on the light. Bright yellow eyes. Female duller and somewhat smaller than male.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I love all these Spring sightings!

Atticus and I are reading The Burgess Bird Book for Children. It is the most delightful and informative book. We love it! You simply must read it to your girls when they are older :)

My Travels