"Let every individual and institution now think and act as a responsible trustee of Earth, seeking choices in ecology, economics and ethics that will provide a sustainable future, eliminate pollution, poverty and violence, awaken the wonder of life and foster peaceful progress in the human adventure."
- John McConnell, founder of International Earth Day

RIGHT NOW, and then again tomorrow and then again the next day and on it goes day after day,
1/2 OF THE WORLD lives on LESS THAN 2 DOLLARS each day.

Psalm 27:4
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
Do all you can and don't worry about the odds against you. Wield the miracle of life's energy, never worrying whether we fail, concerned only that whether we fail or succeed we do so with all our might. That's all we need to know to feel certain that all our force of diligent effort is worth our while on Earth.
Carl Safina, Voyage of the Turtle

Sunday, June 10, 2007

Our Backyard



My doe is hanging around the yard, real close. She has been doing this now for the last 2 weeks. That leads me to believe she has given birth. We see her often, either through the doors or when we are outside. She and/or her ancestors have been here since I bought this place 14 years ago. My yard is the reason why I purchased this house. The home was in bad shape, but the yard was fantastic!! Filled with wildlife, just like I love it.

Slowly over the years I have been remodeling the house, but the yard is still as wonderful as ever.


















I am not too concerned this year because the weeds are still winning, so I let her in to feed. Plus it encourages her to come close and then Owl can see her. Yes, that is thistle growing next to her. I leave it grow for the goldfinches. They nest in August when the thistle is seeding out and that is what they feed their youngsters.

I am not a typical Gardener. Most of my plants aren't near the house. This is intentionally because until the last remodel phase is finished, I am getting stock growing through out the yard. Then eventually when all my money is spent (house is done), I can move them around and near the house. I am also not a typical gardener because I allow the wildlife to consume the produce...my perennials. I will attempt to keep them at bay with liquid fence until mid-August, and then let it go. I feel the wildlife need it to fatten up for the winter, way more than I want to see the beauty..The difference between needs and wants. This year the doe feeds all she wants since the gardens still don't look their best.



















I took this picture of her through the doors.


This fawn was so little last fall, when I took the picture, that I feel it probably didn't make it through the winter. Notice the doe in the background. It was a dry summer, so a hard winter for the deer. Not enough food to grow fat to survive the winter. They were consuming some really strange stuff this spring. I think they were so hungry they were willing to eat anything green and succulent.

















This buck was bedded down next to one of my gardens last fall. I also took the picture through the doors.

When I get back from my trip, I wouldn't be surprised if this years fawn(s) is up and running with the doe.

3 comments:

ashrujit said...

it seems u r a different kind of person... come and visit india and meet the true people...

Andromeda Jazmon said...

These are great pictures. I worry about deer ticks and that is the only reason I don't feel comfortable with deer around. I have had lyme disease twice. I'd love to have you send me a link to this for my Sunday Garden Stroll though. I love your attitude of willingness to go with the flow and share to bounty.

Sarah and Tim said...

I would probably crap my pants with excitement if I saw a deer in my back yard:)

My Travels