"Let every individual and institution now think and act as a responsible trustee of Earth, seeking choices in ecology, economics and ethics that will provide a sustainable future, eliminate pollution, poverty and violence, awaken the wonder of life and foster peaceful progress in the human adventure."
- John McConnell, founder of International Earth Day

RIGHT NOW, and then again tomorrow and then again the next day and on it goes day after day,
1/2 OF THE WORLD lives on LESS THAN 2 DOLLARS each day.

Psalm 27:4
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
Do all you can and don't worry about the odds against you. Wield the miracle of life's energy, never worrying whether we fail, concerned only that whether we fail or succeed we do so with all our might. That's all we need to know to feel certain that all our force of diligent effort is worth our while on Earth.
Carl Safina, Voyage of the Turtle

Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Passage of Time

Owl had her 18 months appointment today with her new doctor. A female doctor that I had originally wanted her to be seen by for her required appointments. I liked her, and she really took time with me in explaining what I should look for when I meet Hawk in June....Owl on the other hand was very impatient while the doctor was explaining it to me.

But let's get back to Owl's appointment. She is still 33 1/4" tall (90%) and now 27 lb 9 oz (90%). So she went up in weight but not in height...I asked the doctor if I can give her skim milk for any amount over 16 oz and she said that would be fine. She also stated that any toddler that she has seen that gains this kind of weight is usually due to excess milk..so my instincts were correct. Tuki will protest a little, but I am looking out for her in the long term...maybe she will thank me for it years down the line. Other than that the doctor says she is right on target developmentally and continues to progress well. She does not have to go back until she is 2 years old...WOW, is she almost 2 years old already...the time sure flies......

As for what to look for in Hawk to help assess that he did not suffer any cognitive damage during his malnourished state::
1. He should be sitting
2. Rolling
3. Passing objects from 1 hand to another
4. Standing and hopefully cruising
5. Head circumference no smaller than 17 3/4"
6. I should also get his height and weight if at all possible. I am bringing a chart with me to see where he falls with the 3 measurements.

By the way Hawk turned 14 months old today.............

I am tired today, and just working on keeping classroom management while still hoping to teach them content in these final days of school. Everyone is ready to be done for the summer. Yet, yesterday we had a meeting for cross country running season to encourage the girls to run summer miles..and that got me really excited for the season. Since Tuki is older, she may have a harder time adjusting to the 8 weeks of long days...but it is my only "real thing" I kept since becoming a mother and it helps pay the bills..so a few weeks of craziness has more benefits than negatives..at this point in time anyway.

Not much else to report..I need to correct tests tonight...............

1 comment:

Sarah and Tim said...

WOW, you guys are still in school? We have been out since May 25 and go abach Aug 9. Glad to hear that you have found a doctor you are happy with. There is no better feeling than when you take your child to the dr and feel as if they truely care and have time for your child.

My Travels