"Let every individual and institution now think and act as a responsible trustee of Earth, seeking choices in ecology, economics and ethics that will provide a sustainable future, eliminate pollution, poverty and violence, awaken the wonder of life and foster peaceful progress in the human adventure."
- John McConnell, founder of International Earth Day

RIGHT NOW, and then again tomorrow and then again the next day and on it goes day after day,
1/2 OF THE WORLD lives on LESS THAN 2 DOLLARS each day.

Psalm 27:4
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
Do all you can and don't worry about the odds against you. Wield the miracle of life's energy, never worrying whether we fail, concerned only that whether we fail or succeed we do so with all our might. That's all we need to know to feel certain that all our force of diligent effort is worth our while on Earth.
Carl Safina, Voyage of the Turtle

Thursday, August 23, 2007

Survival Mode

Sorry I have been MIA. Cross country season (I coach) started two weeks ago and that means running two times daily, and then keeping house, tending to Tuks, pets, and of course getting rest. When the CC season is going we are basically on survival mode, and starting next week, school starts and that means at minimum 10 hour days for us until the end of October. So what I am trying to say is that you may not see as many consistent posts as you have before, but then hopefully I will get back to more regular posts come November. This is also the reason of why there are still no new photos.

Yesterday we met to talk about Tuki's Birth to 3 evaluations. Basically, she scored at age level or higher in every area, except expressive language (talking), which is at the 15 month mark. This of course is no surprise to me because this is why I had her evaluated. She was at age level and higher on her receptive language (understanding), fine motor and gross motor skills, hearing etc. They also informed me that most parents don't have their children evaluated until they are around 2 years old for a language problem, and since I was "proactive" (their words) in getting her tested, it leaves me some room to let her attempt to develop on her own. Thereby, since the next two months will be nuts, and she isn't two yet, I have decided to wait until she does turn 2 (end of November) and if I don't see these changes:

1. real quick word imitation
2. about 100 word vocabulary
3. putting two words together

then I will start speech and language therapy. I figure what will it hurt..nothing, and if anything it will give her (and me) more confidence to try new words.

What is interesting to me is that she is behind in her expressive language --5 months, which is exactly the same amount of time she was in Guatemala hearing Spanish. I wonder if there is any correlation. She is so gosh darn observant, and really studies things that I wonder if she started picking up the Spanish language, at least a little, and then coming home to me, who knows no Spanish and speaks no Spanish..it just may have set her back. I know that doesn't happen with all children adopted internationally, but I can't help but notice the similar span in months...

Next week several moms will be traveling to Haiti to pick up their kids from the same O as Panda. How exciting!!!.

As far as Panda's adoption process...well it is basically sitting at a stand still for various reasons and I have been told by different people next week, next week etc., onto IBSER..BUT the weeks keep coming and going with no change. So I won't be talking about it much until we are in to the next stage, because basically I am just WAY TOO frustrated to say much...You know the old saying, "if you can't say anything good or nice, say nothing at all"....

3 comments:

Jane said...

You are such a good Mom...proactive and attentive. I hope I'm just half as good as you :o)
Do you think some of those other families might take some photos of Panda for you? I know I live for those monthly photos...just to see that they are okay even if you can't touch them yourself...

Jenn said...

I totally understand your frustration, today is not a good one for me. If it is not one thing it is another, now with this UNICEF audit..i just want to pull out my realy badly dyed hair!

Sarah and Tim said...

I would like you to know that my youngest has been getting speech therapy for about a year now. I too had her tested, and they said wait. I waited, and no change. She was about 1 year behind. She will be 2 next month, and can repeat a lot now, but doesnt spontaneously use words. How cool that you run cross country. My oldest ran for the first time last year, and really enjoyed it. If you ask me, its just to much work:0)

My Travels