"Let every individual and institution now think and act as a responsible trustee of Earth, seeking choices in ecology, economics and ethics that will provide a sustainable future, eliminate pollution, poverty and violence, awaken the wonder of life and foster peaceful progress in the human adventure."
- John McConnell, founder of International Earth Day

RIGHT NOW, and then again tomorrow and then again the next day and on it goes day after day,
1/2 OF THE WORLD lives on LESS THAN 2 DOLLARS each day.

Psalm 27:4
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
Do all you can and don't worry about the odds against you. Wield the miracle of life's energy, never worrying whether we fail, concerned only that whether we fail or succeed we do so with all our might. That's all we need to know to feel certain that all our force of diligent effort is worth our while on Earth.
Carl Safina, Voyage of the Turtle

Tuesday, August 7, 2007

WHY????

The last few days have been tough on me. I have a lot of personal gunk floating around in my brain that needs sorting out. I am not my usual happy self and that bothers me a lot. I tend not to blog when I am struggling, because just like in my daily life, I also think my blogger friends don't want to hear whine, irritation and complaining.

It requires much energy to stay upbeat in front of others when you are feeling anything but that, so I stay away or just plaster a smile on and keep moving.

But I have decided to share some of my thoughts. Beware, you may not like what you read.

1. Why does the adoption process take so long?
2. Why does each step have it's hang-ups?
3. Why am I so set on wanting to parent three children?
4. Can I wait 4 more years for the third child?
5. Will there be countries open to singles in 4 years?
6. How will my finances stay afloat during CC season, with paying for daycare,
Tuki's babysitter during meets, and Panda's adoption?
7. Why is it that the people who have much money have no desire to adopt and care
for more children, while there are those people with minimal money want to care
for many children?
8. Why does my van break down when I am coming into the fall, when my finances are
tighter than any other time of the year?
9. Why do I always feel like I am on the "outside" looking in.
10. Why aren't my gourds producing female flowers, thus gourds this year?
11. How come so many people think only of themselves, and won't put themselves out
for others?
12. Why do I like to blog when I receive so much flak for it from those closest to
me?
13. Why do I let M's lack of effort in coming to my aid, make me feel worthless, when
I know he could never and can never be counted on? It is just who he is and not
a reflection on me.
14. Why am I so restless sometimes?
15. What makes me think I am capable of parenting children of different races?
16. Why does the color of skin matter???

Here is my big why question: this is one of the reasons why I am on the outside looking in.

17. Why do parents allow their kids to take frogs and turtles, and other critters from their natural setting and drag them home, and then let them die? They say no to other things, why not no to destroying another organism's life. And I'm sorry it DOES not make a funny story. A child just destroyed another's life. What possible lesson could these kids be learning except that it is OK to abuse another life just because they don't see, the parents don't see value in it.. It that such a big leap from other humans not valuing people of other color just because they don't see value in them? There are many studies stating that kids that abuse animals could someday be abusive to other people. Yet, parents, everyday, everywhere, (I have read about it in the blog world numerous times, and recently witnessed it at our local river)) allow their kids to capture and eventually kill animals just because they are "feared", "ugly", "wet", "slimy", "not considered important", "want to take it home". I have much more I could say, but I'll just leave at this for now.

Why is this OK????

I'd really like to know.................. God created all things and he considered them good, why can we abuse them or allow them to be abused just because our kids like to catch them and bring them home. My dad always use to say to me. "Don't treat another living thing any differently than you want to be treated"

I know some reading this may think this is an inconsequential topic, but remember our kids catch our values, and if we don't value all life, then how are we going to teach them to value all life, no matter the species, breed, or color.

If they (all organisms) were created and born by God, they are of value, they are good............

organism = anything that is alive...remember I am a science teacher, therefore I am compelled to teach........

6 comments:

Jane said...

Oh man. I think I have comments for almost every point, but #17 really got to me.
I, too, witnessed an incident at a local beach a few weeks ago that made me ask, WHY?? Some teenage boys had caught a fish and were passing it around (in their hands) and squeezing it, threatening each other with it...just generally torturing the fish...until they got bored with it and threw the stunned fish back into the water - toward the shore where some younger boys then captured it and began the process again.
There were plenty of adults in the area and some were watching this, just as I was. Several times I said loudly, WHY DON'T YOU JUST LET IT GO?!! And several kids responded, "its almost dead" or "we're saving it!" Oh yeah.
It is ridiculous what parents allow their children to do...and then wonder why they destruct property (and lives?) down the road.
Sorry this is so long...it just ticks me off! And shows me what kind of parent I DON'T want to be!
I think it's great that you are teaching your daughter to respect ALL living things. I plan to do the same.

Sarah and Tim said...

I am so sorry for you feeling like you are on the outside looking in. I don't want you to think for one moment that you are alone. I want you to know that some of the questions you have asked, I have also asked, like, why does color matter? IT DOSEN'T. I will be praying for you. I think I remember in a recent post that you said your walk with the Lord was getting stronger, (something to this) I will be praying that Satan would back off and that our God would comfort you, give you strength and peace! If you are meant to parent 3 children then Yes there will be a country willing, and obviously God has put it on your heart that 3 is the number, just as 6 is the number for me. As for you getting slack from those most dear to you, just know it takes a lot of courage to put your feelings out there, and I have found that a lot of times when you are getting slack, it is merely because those giving it has some sort of jealousy. Rather of what you have, what you are doing, or the simple fact that they need to be focus, and with all the blogger friends you have, they aren't the focus, YOU ARE. Never worry that I don't want to hear your heart, even though I have never met you face to face, I feel as though I do know a bit about you and for that reason, I consider you a friend. I hope I haven't rambled on to much, just know you are liked and loved, and maybe judged by some, but the only judgement to worry about is that of our Lord!!!!!

Not Betty Crocker said...

I can relate to so many of your questions...wish I had some answers for you.

On a different note I just saw your post on the group regarding age. I think Gracie is 4 going on 5 rather than 3 going on 4. Like you, I don't think in the overall scheme of things it's a big deal but it does bother me. I'm not sure why. Guess I just wish I knew *for sure* what her age is.

Anyway, hang in there! You are a terrific person with so much to offer.

Sarah said...

Many times I have asked many of the same questions, and I have no answers to offer. #17 really struck home, as I too have seen this and it bothers me terribly. And so did the one about money--especially after I got home from Haiti. We are saving every dime we have to bring these two kids home, and future adoptions are on my heart and mind as well. I have many family members who are *very* well off and just waste money on their own creature comforts, and then tell us we are "crazy" to want to do anything that would make our lives "hard" or "work." My 19-year old cousin, very indulged and spoiled, spent a month doing research work in poor, rural areas of Costa Rica with her college. When we asked her if living with the villagers and seeing what she saw changed her, after a minute of reflection, her response was, and I quote: "Well, I guess I tolerate bugs more now." Arrrgghhh! Anyways, I digress, but just know that you are anything but alone here in your thoughts. . . I will keep you and your questions in my prayers!
-Sarah C.

Gail said...

Aves,
I do understand some of your questions and feel the same way. I also don't feel like you are whining and this is a good place for you to vent. Most of us are friends and understand a lot of your feelings.
Hang you there. You are a wonderful person and a wonderful mother.
Gail

Jane said...

Re:
#12
Because you know that you are a valued highlight in the lives of some strangers in blogland!

#15: because you are already successfully doing it with Tuki. To the point that I (and others) consider you a positive example of how to parent!

As "me" said, You are a terrific person with so much to offer! So just keep on offering yourself to us!

My Travels