"Let every individual and institution now think and act as a responsible trustee of Earth, seeking choices in ecology, economics and ethics that will provide a sustainable future, eliminate pollution, poverty and violence, awaken the wonder of life and foster peaceful progress in the human adventure."
- John McConnell, founder of International Earth Day

RIGHT NOW, and then again tomorrow and then again the next day and on it goes day after day,
1/2 OF THE WORLD lives on LESS THAN 2 DOLLARS each day.

Psalm 27:4
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
Do all you can and don't worry about the odds against you. Wield the miracle of life's energy, never worrying whether we fail, concerned only that whether we fail or succeed we do so with all our might. That's all we need to know to feel certain that all our force of diligent effort is worth our while on Earth.
Carl Safina, Voyage of the Turtle

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Days OFF

HAPPY BIRTHDAY NIECE M!!!!!

We stayed home yesterday, today and then again we have to stay home tomorrow..can you guess why.....

HEAD LICE!!!

On the way out of church on Sunday, with the sun shining so brightly, I looked down upon my sweet angelic Tuki, and what to my astonished eyes did see...NITS..Tons of them, except I didn't know what they were, but it didn't look good. So we came home, put her down for her nap and started doing major research on the net. YAOUSIE!!!! She had every sign of head lice. Upon her waking, I went to work and treated everything I could think of..probably 10+ loads of laundry on Sunday. I also treated her and me. I combed many, way too many dead adult louse out of her hair. None from mine. It was nauseating to think that these parasites were in my baby's hair. After doing much reading I realized I need to contact everyone she had been in contact with within the last week. It felt like (by what I have seen on TV) a positive AIDS victim calling all ex-lovers..No I have never needed to do this, it was just an analogy. I called my day care..that is why it is closed until Thursday. I guess all kids positive with a lice infection are still contagious 72 hours after treatment. Many of kids also had the lice, but the question is; did they give it to Tuks or did Tuks give it to them, and if she gave it to them, then where did she get it from.. I will never know for sure.

I called the YMCA and asked if there had been any reports. They said no, so I said consider this a report since we were there 3 times last week.

I also called the church since Tuks was in the nursery. The strongest negative reaction I had was the church secretary..why that always seems to be the case, I'll never understand.

Also now that I know what head lice is and what early symptoms look like, I will be much more on top of this. I am also going to try shampooing her in Tea tree oil shampoo since it has been stated to be a repellent to lice. Better to go at this proactively, preventively, rather than this reactively, treating later type of actions.

I also did a lot of reading about the life cycle of the head louse and saw that I will need to repeat treatments several more times in the next 2 -3 weeks. I may even run it out to 4.

The articles I read pointed out two important facts.

1. Parents are usually too ashamed about this extremely common parasite, (10 - 12 million people get it every year) so they don't report it and the cycle just keeps going. I admit I wrestled with shame, but thank goodness my factual side of my brain kicked in and screamed everyone needs to know to stop the cycle. This is also why I decided to post about it..to inform others

2.Parents tend to relax some of their vigilant effort in getting rid of the lice after they don't see any more adults..BIG MISTAKE...we need to keep at it for many more weeks to again break the cycle of the lice.

I then decided to get Tuks her first hair cut and have the hair dresser look for nits. She only found two. I brought our own combs etc., so as not to pass on nits to unsuspecting innocent people.
I posted two photos below of her haircut. I was always so afraid that she would lose her curl, but no fear, her hair is cuter than ever. I kept some of the cut hair. She did great in the chair. I gave her a sucker and it kept her joyfully occupied the whole time.

So we are off of work and school, and on not too great of weather days. Yesterday, it rained all day and then it snowed. Today it should warm up enough this afternoon that Tuks and I can go for a walk outside and then tomorrow it is suppose to be really nice. I can't wait. The down side of all this is that I am eating up valuable sick days that I wanted to save for when the girls come home from Haiti. I will just have to believe that it will all work out in God timing and in his way.



Too cute..that is all natural curl..I am jealous!!!!!


Again way too cute......

9 comments:

veggiemom said...

Ugh! Poor you guys! I'm glad you got over your shame since it's so not your's or Tuki's fault. It's so common in kids around other kids. Glad you're on top of it now.
Hugs...
Kerri and Ruby

Life in Fitzville said...

Adorable haircut! She is too cute!

We dealt with lice last year for the first time. I use a leave in conditioner spray in the mornings on my kids, and I just started adding a few drops of tea tree oil to that bottle. I don't know if that's what is working or not, but not a sign of a nit since! My personal fave is the Aussie leave in conditioning spray. Helps with static, smells great, and leaves their hair so soft.

Marta said...

She is so beautiful! Been there, done that, many times with the head lice. Kids get it in school and day care, and just pass it around and around and around....I'm glad you brought up the proactive aspect. I was just thinking how hard it would be to continuously treat African hair... Ack!

This Mama said...

Love the new do Tuki!

Oh my ~ our family got head lice 2 years ago or so and it literally made me lose my mind at the thought of it. In fact, after reading this post my head feels itchy! Not fun at all :(

~Mandy

Sarah said...

What a sweet haircut on Tuki! She looks adorable. So sorry to hear about the head lice-- it doesn't sound like fun! We've never dealt with lice, but the contagious nature of ringworm is something I know a thing or two about, unfortunately. Funny how I get itchy just thinking about all of this.

Brenda said...

If it makes you feel better, our second daughter (now 19) had them when she was 4. She got them at VBS at church. They are gross. Then they are gone. It is embarrassing but you know you are clean. Oh and she is so cute.

Mandy said...

Her hair is adorable and lice is a big pain to deal with. My step son had it alot before we got custody and it was painful for all of us to deal with. Sorry Tuks got it and I hope she never gets it again.

Suzanne said...

Aw, man, what a hassle. Poor little girl. I just LOVE her haircut though!
Suzanne

Andromeda Jazmon said...

I battled head lice with my oldest son when he was about six - not fun! I sympathize with you. You are doing exactly the right thing. Our school has had it going around and around this year and it is really hard. In the computer lab we have the kids wipe down the headphones after every use. Don't know if that helps at all.

My Travels