"Let every individual and institution now think and act as a responsible trustee of Earth, seeking choices in ecology, economics and ethics that will provide a sustainable future, eliminate pollution, poverty and violence, awaken the wonder of life and foster peaceful progress in the human adventure."
- John McConnell, founder of International Earth Day

RIGHT NOW, and then again tomorrow and then again the next day and on it goes day after day,
1/2 OF THE WORLD lives on LESS THAN 2 DOLLARS each day.

Psalm 27:4
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
Do all you can and don't worry about the odds against you. Wield the miracle of life's energy, never worrying whether we fail, concerned only that whether we fail or succeed we do so with all our might. That's all we need to know to feel certain that all our force of diligent effort is worth our while on Earth.
Carl Safina, Voyage of the Turtle

Sunday, July 6, 2008

Character of a Champion


MT on left, C in the middle, and their coach on the right.

By now you have probably surmised my nephew didn't qualify for this year's summer Olympics. I have had a hard time wanting to post this, but since I brought it up initially, I decided I better put an end to it as well.

From the world's perspective, according to what was televised. C took the lead at the 1000m out mark, He kept it until the last 100m, and that is where four runners blew by him while basically he tied up...He missed first place by 5 seconds and 3rd (the last qualifying spot) by 3 seconds. It may have appeared that he was a young inexperienced runner that didn't strategize well.

Now for the real story that will never be spoken of except for within our family and maybe a few obscure interviews.

The number 2 qualifier, MT (also a teammate of C's), and C decided that before the race that C would take the lead at the 1000m mark and then the next lap MT would relieve C, and finally on the last lap each man for himself. Well, it didn't quite work that way. MT never relieved C. He just hung back and let C do all the work, which naturally wore him out. MT says he was sore, tight and had a side ache and just couldn't move up, yet if you watch the race you can easily see that MT had it all together to qualify for the 2nd spot.

One of C's interview statements
“If the start was moderate, the plan was I would take it with three laps to go, then MT two to go, then every man for himself. I just had nothing left with 100 to go. I hammered as hard as I could, I just had nothing left. It was a terrible race. I was on the outside of lane 1, inside of lane 2 the whole race. I couldn’t get on the rail until I took the lead.”


C is doing fine, well better than the rest of the family, we are just "pissed", hurt for C and really don't trust MT anymore. He had done this to C one time in college too. I imagine with MT being C's friend, C has a tough time wrapping his mind around the whole thing.

Even though C didn't qualify, we are proud of him because he ran his heart out, did what he said he would do ( a character trait MT obviously doesn't have), and came up still looking like a champion. He is a man of character, and we couldn't be more proud!! He will spend the summer in Europe racing.

4 comments:

Jane said...

I wondered about this and was watching for a post about it. So sorry C didn't qualify. Sorrier that his team mate doesn't grasp the real spirit of being an Olympic athlete, much less a champion.

Brenda said...

Sounds like C won what counts in life's race. That is the most important.

Sarah said...

What a raw deal. . .I'm so sorry for C. I agree though, he certainly has the character and spirit of a champion, which is far more important in the long run.

Marta said...

That really bites for C. I think it's almost worse finding out you have a friend like that. I hope that he has a great summer racing and many more opportunities. He does have the heart of a champion, really.

My Travels