"Let every individual and institution now think and act as a responsible trustee of Earth, seeking choices in ecology, economics and ethics that will provide a sustainable future, eliminate pollution, poverty and violence, awaken the wonder of life and foster peaceful progress in the human adventure."
- John McConnell, founder of International Earth Day

RIGHT NOW, and then again tomorrow and then again the next day and on it goes day after day,
1/2 OF THE WORLD lives on LESS THAN 2 DOLLARS each day.

Psalm 27:4
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
Do all you can and don't worry about the odds against you. Wield the miracle of life's energy, never worrying whether we fail, concerned only that whether we fail or succeed we do so with all our might. That's all we need to know to feel certain that all our force of diligent effort is worth our while on Earth.
Carl Safina, Voyage of the Turtle

Sunday, July 20, 2008

Summer is moving forward

Well the answer is in. I will not be coaching cross country running this fall, I will miss it, yet I know it is the correct decision with Tuks getting older and having more interests herself. She really enjoyed her gymnastics class and looks forward to more. I was a little nervous because I convinced the teacher to allow Tuks to participate. She is only 32 months old and the class is for 3-4 years olds, but I felt Tuki was ready for it and she was. The teacher said she did great and there are only two other girls, one 3 1/2 and the other 4. Tuks stands inches taller than both of them...a reminder as to how tall she really is. She listened well, stood in line and took turns.

Now, for after the class, Tuks had a major meltdown in Kmart...I mean major, and then after her nap she had another at the Post office. I know partly due to her staying up so late this whole week with my brother and his family in town. She finally had a melt down in front of them on the last day they were here, and my SIL told me that her behavior is normal and her daughter (my niece) did the same thing at that age. My niece is now 13 and a well behaved young lady, so it gave me hope. Plus, they said I handled the tantrum well, and I shouldn't beat myself up on how I handle it later. So that helped me feel like I am doing a good job. I really question it sometimes, and I am sure it is partly due to the fact that I don't have another adult tell me that I am doing well. I guess that is one downer about single parenting, no one to bounce ideas or thoughts off of. The last two days she has been listening and behaving well...did we turn a corner, or is it a few days of easy street. I guess time will tell.

Last week, we (the entire family) went to the movie WALL E and Tuks and I had to leave about 30 minutes into it because Tuks was scared (I guess a poor decision on my part). I lost $14.00, and I wish I would have thought to ask for a refund, but it was on a gift card and never really cost me anyway. I guess I will wait another year or two before we try a night time movie again.

My garage is now cleaned, just need to finish picking up the swept dirt, and then I am on to various other spots in the house to sort through for the rummage sale.

The kitties, Hubble and Beatrice are both doing GREAT. Hubble is a different kitten. The minute I walk into their room, he starts his purr motor just a roaring. He is so little that he can fit into the palm of my hand. I think he may be several weeks younger than Beatrice. Wish I could show pictures, but still haven't looked into fixing or replacing my camera.

My Eastern Phoebe's second clutch of 4 fledglings left the nest today. They were so tightly packed in there I am surprised they stayed in the nest as long as they did. So that means 6 new Phoebes this summer...

Lastly, we have been eating lettuce from our garden for the last two weeks and boy it is GGGGGGGGREEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Marta said...

Terrible 2's get the attention (re:those start at about 18 months!) but rarely do the 3's get much press. Too bad, because they are a more mature extension of the 2's! Thank the heavens she is normal and give yourself a pat on the back! And it's great that she is loving gymnastics. She stood in line and took turns, and she's not even 3 yet??? WOW! Now that's impressive.

Steph, G's Mom said...

Hey Cindy, you can always ask your meltdown questions and stuff like that on bepreparedhaiti, there are MANY folks on there who are also on home from haiti. lots of experience with melties :)

My Travels