"Let every individual and institution now think and act as a responsible trustee of Earth, seeking choices in ecology, economics and ethics that will provide a sustainable future, eliminate pollution, poverty and violence, awaken the wonder of life and foster peaceful progress in the human adventure."
- John McConnell, founder of International Earth Day

RIGHT NOW, and then again tomorrow and then again the next day and on it goes day after day,
1/2 OF THE WORLD lives on LESS THAN 2 DOLLARS each day.

Psalm 27:4
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
Do all you can and don't worry about the odds against you. Wield the miracle of life's energy, never worrying whether we fail, concerned only that whether we fail or succeed we do so with all our might. That's all we need to know to feel certain that all our force of diligent effort is worth our while on Earth.
Carl Safina, Voyage of the Turtle

Sunday, August 10, 2008

Gymnastics class

Tuks and I have been watching the Olympic gymnastics. She gets all excited and continually states that they (the gymnasts) are in gymnastics class. I usually say yes they are and then while the gymnast are performing their routines, Tuks is jumping, rolling, tumbling, hanging (from the back of the couch), twirling, all over the living room attempting to imitate the athletes. She certainly loves her gymnastics.

We went to the nearby large city and I had my fingerprints re-done to extend my
I-171, stayed over night at long term friend B's house with her two kids, and then the next day we went to the nearby zoo. It was a first time for Tuks. She was afraid of the monkeys, loved the cats, elephants, zebra, giraffes and farm animals.

We came home yesterday, and I have since been preparing the items for the rummage sale which will be held later in the week. Just to show you how crazy I am, we are also planning on squeezing in a 2-day camping trip before the rummage sale.....

It has been a hard week in thinking about the girls in Haiti so I am grateful for the busyness. I haven't heard a thing in the progress, and I am missing them like crazy...oh well, a waiting we will do........

OK, anybody else notice that there are no minorities competing for the US in swimming and gymnastics.....makes me wonder why this is....and worse than that is, why I had never noticed this before........................hmmmmmmmm

6 comments:

Unknown said...

An african american guy, Cullen Jones, competed in the US men's relay in swimming last night (in which they won the gold). I don't recall ever seeing a black person in olympic swimming before. But you're right, I hadn't really thought about it before but they are conspicously (at least to me now) absent from those events. Strange.

Andromeda Jazmon said...

My little boys take gymnastics at the Y too. I thought Taqiy Abdullah-Simmons, an African American gymnast, was going to be there but I don't see him. We also take swimming lessons. The basketball team is Black at least, but that really highlights the segregation of our sports.

Anonymous said...

I'm certainly no expert, but I was married to an AA man for many years. He learned to swim in college because his mother,father, grandmother, etc. were deathly afraid of the water. When I questioned this early on in our marriage he said simply, "Black folks don't swim!"
My in laws thought I was crazy because I encouraged and paid for my nieces and nephews to take summer swim lessons. The grew up swimming and still enjoy water activities because of it.
Long story short - I think it's a culture thing!

Jane
p.s. Aves we're missing you!!

Sarah said...

Just checking in on you :) We miss you!

Marta said...

Did you go to the Olympics????

Anonymous said...

As far as gymnastics goes, this was just sort of a non-minority year. There were minorities in the running but most didn't quite have the goods to make the team this time around.

My Travels