"Let every individual and institution now think and act as a responsible trustee of Earth, seeking choices in ecology, economics and ethics that will provide a sustainable future, eliminate pollution, poverty and violence, awaken the wonder of life and foster peaceful progress in the human adventure."
- John McConnell, founder of International Earth Day

RIGHT NOW, and then again tomorrow and then again the next day and on it goes day after day,
1/2 OF THE WORLD lives on LESS THAN 2 DOLLARS each day.

Psalm 27:4
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
Do all you can and don't worry about the odds against you. Wield the miracle of life's energy, never worrying whether we fail, concerned only that whether we fail or succeed we do so with all our might. That's all we need to know to feel certain that all our force of diligent effort is worth our while on Earth.
Carl Safina, Voyage of the Turtle

Monday, August 4, 2008

So, now what I think

I feel the author of that statement did a great job in capturing the thoughts I have had floating around for some time. I just didn't have the ability to write it so clearly.

I will attempt to explain....attempt being the operative word here

You see, since I have yet to marry, Tuks has been the first human that I have made a long term commitment to that I have daily contact with. As much as I love her, some days are difficult. I am sure married people know this already, I, on the other hand, am learning. In my relationships when dating various men, or even some male or female friends that don't know how to stick in there, when things become tough, like disagreements, hard discussions, misunderstandings, my experience has been that the other person left...yeah, I know, not too good, and it hasn't always been my doing. I am kind of left standing there thinking doesn't any body know how to stay around and work through conflicts anymore. So I have no idea what a committed relationship looks like beyond my parents. But that has been too long ago to really remember it all that well. BTW I do have some long term friends that I have had 20 - 30 + years and I am very grateful for, and they know how to work through conflicts instead of walking away from them, I hope I never take them for granted. I still can't help but be amazed at the majority of people that I have chosen to allow in my inner circle, and then find out later that they were there only until a conflict arose. I know, I am making bad choices, no I did make bad choices, now I am making better ones. Kids do that to a person. Is this making sense?? Probably not, that is why I don't put these thoughts out there very often..LOL

So with Tuks being my first child and a baby upon homecoming, it was a first big step for me. I have had to work through the fact that she won't be leaving...meaning I can set down specific guidelines and rules within the household and even if she gets mad at me, she is still sticking around..again I know obvious, but it wasn't always to me. I have known people leaving... a lot.... So I have had to work through these irrational thoughts jumping around in my brain.

Also, when in conversation with various others about attachment, bonding etc., I have found that parents of bio-children have never had to give it a thought. The bonding just occurred in time with care-giving. The trust had never been broken so the attachment came quickly. So in explaining the attachment process, I have used the analogy that it is like falling in love with your child and the child falling in love with their parent. It happens over time.

In addition, when pursing the adoption of older children, namely Mim and Ve, I was very conscience of the fact that I wanted my older children to be somewhat similar in personality to either me or Tuks, or it will be a rough road for them. I am an odd duck in many ways. Now don't get me wrong, I am very comfortable being who I am, but I know when in contrast to others, I think and act differently than the mainstream. There are others like me, but there is not many others out there that enjoy the same things or feel the same way that I do. So I was concerned that children that had much of their personality formed would fit into our odd family. Believe me, Tuks fits in perfectly, it really makes me wonder about nature vs nurture because Tuks and I are many times two peas in a pod...scary but true..

My trip to Haiti put many of these fears to rest because in the little time I spent with them, I kind of felt that we all meshed...but what happens when they come home..it will be a marriage of four people whom on a daily basis will have to choose to stay committed to the family as a unit..that is after the initial transition attachment has occurred....scary, tough stuff, but so worth it!!

They say you grow as a parent, and boy am I growing........

2 comments:

Marta said...

I have seen you with your girls in Haiti and I see how much they want and need to belong to you, as well as to each other. I have seen how much you already love them. All that will foster more love, which is the greatest force of all. Of course you will have difficulites, but you have rare abilities; treasure that! I have complete faith in your ability to mother your girls and create a real family. You have what it takes to create a real commitment. That is obvious by your thoughts on your post.

Even tho your experience witnessing commitment came from your parents and it was long ago, treasure it. We live in a disposable society that encourages us to label people and throw them away when they don't meet our expectations. (I am not advocating sticking with bad choices just learning to choose as wisely as possible)

You have what it takes. Ask for help when you need it. Keep on believing in yourself.

Brenda said...

That was so well said. I think you made it really clear what has happened and how it is effecting you. We all bring trust issues from our past into current relationships. Its part of the deal. Some of the issues are there with birth children. I didn't get to pick their personalities either. They make choices I don't like or approve of sometimes. Its the way it is. I find that for me, I attached to the boys way faster than they attached to me. I'm still waiting on one. It sounds like to me you are already attaching to your girls in Haiti : ) Thanks for sharing your heart.

My Travels