"Let every individual and institution now think and act as a responsible trustee of Earth, seeking choices in ecology, economics and ethics that will provide a sustainable future, eliminate pollution, poverty and violence, awaken the wonder of life and foster peaceful progress in the human adventure."
- John McConnell, founder of International Earth Day

RIGHT NOW, and then again tomorrow and then again the next day and on it goes day after day,
1/2 OF THE WORLD lives on LESS THAN 2 DOLLARS each day.

Psalm 27:4
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
Do all you can and don't worry about the odds against you. Wield the miracle of life's energy, never worrying whether we fail, concerned only that whether we fail or succeed we do so with all our might. That's all we need to know to feel certain that all our force of diligent effort is worth our while on Earth.
Carl Safina, Voyage of the Turtle

Sunday, August 3, 2008

What do you think??

I copied the below statement from here., A Life Outside the Box.

"Adoption is often like a marriage of strangers. It's a marriage for life, and when one partner finds out the other isn't the mate they had dreamed of, there's no option of divorce. Instead, both partners are left with only tremendous feelings of guilt and fear of what the road ahead holds."

I will explain later how this statement hit me..why I felt the need to copy and paste it into my blog...For now, what do you think??

4 comments:

Brenda said...

Hmmm. I have often thought of adoption of an older child as dating. You hope the other person likes you. You wonder if they care and hope they do. It is a building of a relationship. I believe God has brought each of my children to me some through birth. Some through adoption. Each comes as a stranger whether by birth or adoption. Each was meant to be and is not ever the "child I dreamed of". Instead each one is an individual that God wants me to accept as they are. None of my children were meant to be molded into my dream child. I need to work with their God given gifts, talents, weaknesses. I'm sure I'm not the dream mother either. They have to take me as is too.

Sarah said...

ALOTB is one of my all-time favorite blogs, and that statement resonated with me as well.

As we are getting incredibly close to picking up our boys, my nervousness is rising. I have heard that people felt like they were babysitting someone else's children in those first few weeks, and they would think, "Okay, who's coming to get them now?" I think about that ALL the time because I really do NOT like watching other people's children! Then I worry that I'll feel that way about these two boys, and the guilt begins before I have even brought them home.

Then there's the whole issue of what if I love them, but they just can't love me. . .

I ordered the BCLC book that she highly recommends, and I'm anxious to begin reading it.

Brenda said...

After going and reading it in its context I think it is just describing how she has felt. I cannot say I have never had feelings of frustration or disappointment. I had hoped Bear would have attached to me and would be doing better than he is after 9 years. There are complications besides RAD though....still I cannot say it is describing my feelings. If it describes hers I give her Kudos for being open and honest about it. It will help other moms who feel the same.

Jenn said...

I think it makes complete sense! Kind of reassuring in a way that others feel what I feel.

My Travels