"Let every individual and institution now think and act as a responsible trustee of Earth, seeking choices in ecology, economics and ethics that will provide a sustainable future, eliminate pollution, poverty and violence, awaken the wonder of life and foster peaceful progress in the human adventure."
- John McConnell, founder of International Earth Day

RIGHT NOW, and then again tomorrow and then again the next day and on it goes day after day,
1/2 OF THE WORLD lives on LESS THAN 2 DOLLARS each day.

Psalm 27:4
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
Do all you can and don't worry about the odds against you. Wield the miracle of life's energy, never worrying whether we fail, concerned only that whether we fail or succeed we do so with all our might. That's all we need to know to feel certain that all our force of diligent effort is worth our while on Earth.
Carl Safina, Voyage of the Turtle

Sunday, September 7, 2008

"As if he were my own blood"

I try to work out at the Y about 4 - 5 days each week. I have discovered a neat bonus on the ellipticals. They have their own TVs attached to each machine, so when you are exercising on it, you can tune the TV to any station your heart desires. Well...I have found I enjoy AMC quite a bit, since, 1) I only have basic cable at home, and 2) AMC runs many of the old westerns..which I love, yes, I do, especially John Wayne and Clint Eastwood movies..Tall, independent, strong quiet guys who always do the right thing no matter how difficult the task may be. Plus all the scenery from the west...Granted I don't enjoy watching their treatment of horses and women, but it is a movie after all..NOT real life..Anywhoha....

Well on the John Wayne movie I was watching Saturday morning, not sure of the title. John Wayne's character John Henry Thomas, just after the Civil War, stated to another character, that Blu Boy, a full Blooded Cherokee, was his adopted son. Well, the other character proceeds to ask if this was indeed true and John Henry states "Yes it is, and I could not be more proud of him than if he was my (inside my head I was screaming..no no don't say it, but then he did..but it was different), as if he was my own blood" I cringed at first before the word blood was spoken, but once it was I instantly calmed inside...and this is what I immediately started thinking as I was hopefully sweating my butt and hips off...maybe over the years the word "Blood" has been dropped (because of our shortened lingo over the years) from the statement "as if he were my/your own". A statement that can cause unrest in an adoptive parent and the adopted child's heart. It usually causes a "he/she is my own" statement in return...BUT the statement "as if he/she were my/your own blood" ties in the genetic link and that we all understand to be true...........one word, just one word, can make all the difference in the world in how a statement is received.

3 comments:

Jenn said...

So true...a woman at Home Dept asked me if I was Wil's "real" mother the other day...cringe...

veggiemom said...

I think you may have hit the nail on the head.
Kerri, Medina, and Ruby

Marta said...

Love your new header! Ve has L's sunglasses on her head...lol

My Travels