"Let every individual and institution now think and act as a responsible trustee of Earth, seeking choices in ecology, economics and ethics that will provide a sustainable future, eliminate pollution, poverty and violence, awaken the wonder of life and foster peaceful progress in the human adventure."
- John McConnell, founder of International Earth Day

RIGHT NOW, and then again tomorrow and then again the next day and on it goes day after day,
1/2 OF THE WORLD lives on LESS THAN 2 DOLLARS each day.

Psalm 27:4
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
Do all you can and don't worry about the odds against you. Wield the miracle of life's energy, never worrying whether we fail, concerned only that whether we fail or succeed we do so with all our might. That's all we need to know to feel certain that all our force of diligent effort is worth our while on Earth.
Carl Safina, Voyage of the Turtle

Saturday, August 24, 2013

End of summer update

I am on my last weekend off and then the craziness begins. I haven't really taken much time off this summer anyway since I am teaching a new class this fall in which I developed the curriculum and activities that will meet the learning objectives. It required a lot of running around to surrounding community members this summer, but if the class turns out like I envision it, it should really be fun and yet a thought provoking class, and real world application thus hopefully the learning will be more meaningful.

We are still finishing the final stages of the chicken coop, a few loose ends from the garage and still a lot of garden harvest and more bread making. We also have 1/2 a cow and 1/2 a pig coming for the freezer.

In addition our fall will include:
Mim's CC season until November
Ve and Tuki's skating season until next April
Ve and Tuki starting Basketball in November
My weekly admin class that will meet every Wednesday night until the end of December
Hopefully some more kayaking weekends as well

I am going to try and keep building up my running time and also attempt to keep our nightly family walks with the dogs as often as possible.

I decided to keep Tuki in before school care located at the school, but this year I am allowing Ve to walk to school (3 blocks away) about 1 hour after me and Mim leave for school. She is going into 4th grade and she wants to do this on her own and I think she can handle it and it will teach her to watch the time more closely and hopefully give a better sense of time since she seems to struggle with this concept. Both will walk home together.

Mim will be biking to high school until the weather doesn't allow for it anymore. This will make it easier for me in not having to pick her up after practice and it gives her some independence. She has been biking to her high school all summer for summer school so it shouldn't be a big deal for her.

Tomorrow in church we will be ushering and Mim will help lead the worship in the 11:00am service. She is both VERY excited and VERY nervous. I'm proud as to how focused and serious she is taking this. I can tell she really, and I mean really enjoys this...I have never seen her this excited about anything else except boys.

That is all the update for now...

No comments:

My Travels