"Let every individual and institution now think and act as a responsible trustee of Earth, seeking choices in ecology, economics and ethics that will provide a sustainable future, eliminate pollution, poverty and violence, awaken the wonder of life and foster peaceful progress in the human adventure."
- John McConnell, founder of International Earth Day

RIGHT NOW, and then again tomorrow and then again the next day and on it goes day after day,
1/2 OF THE WORLD lives on LESS THAN 2 DOLLARS each day.

Psalm 27:4
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
Do all you can and don't worry about the odds against you. Wield the miracle of life's energy, never worrying whether we fail, concerned only that whether we fail or succeed we do so with all our might. That's all we need to know to feel certain that all our force of diligent effort is worth our while on Earth.
Carl Safina, Voyage of the Turtle

Monday, August 12, 2013

Remaking the Chicken Coop

When we were cleaning the garage, we sorted through all the wood we had stored as well a deconstructed an indoor garage dog pen I had built 20 years ago for the farm dogs that moved to the city with me. We have a lot of wood and we also have a lot old old chicken, dog and cat feed bags...my environmental side of my personality can't just throw them away to the landfill so I find things to do with them. Anyway I digress, we are using the feed bags to insulate the chicken walls, then we are nailing up old heavy tarp from our local lumber company (can't remember the exact name of it, but it is very heavy and insulating on the inside walls. The outside walls we are nailing corrugated polycarbonate..all this to provide more insulation in the winter than we have previously had..we are slowly converting raptor cages over into the chicken coops.. I plan to take picture tomorrow to show the steps we are taking. We (Mim & I are the we in this post) are also rebuilding the perches to accommodate the chickens and then building more "chicken like" nest boxes. The chickens are been making due with the cages that were designed for raptors and not chickens, but now after 4 years we are accommodating the chickens.

No comments:

My Travels