"Let every individual and institution now think and act as a responsible trustee of Earth, seeking choices in ecology, economics and ethics that will provide a sustainable future, eliminate pollution, poverty and violence, awaken the wonder of life and foster peaceful progress in the human adventure."
- John McConnell, founder of International Earth Day

RIGHT NOW, and then again tomorrow and then again the next day and on it goes day after day,
1/2 OF THE WORLD lives on LESS THAN 2 DOLLARS each day.

Psalm 27:4
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
Do all you can and don't worry about the odds against you. Wield the miracle of life's energy, never worrying whether we fail, concerned only that whether we fail or succeed we do so with all our might. That's all we need to know to feel certain that all our force of diligent effort is worth our while on Earth.
Carl Safina, Voyage of the Turtle

Saturday, November 3, 2007

Tumbling through thoughts

Well, it is easy to see I am done with the CC season..much more blogging action..LOL

Anyway today was Tuki's first day at tumbling at the YMCA. When we first entered the room, she was totally enthralled with another older gymnast who was performing on
the bars and vault. Tuks couldn't get her eyes off her. So when the instructors had us sit down, GOD FORBID, Tuks wanted nothing to do with stretching, and making a taco, or whatever the heck we were suppose to make in our stretching because she wanted to get up and jump on the vault, swing from the bars., etc., She and I were wrestling just to keep peace in the sit down stretch activity. My mind quickly professed that "I hope this 45 minutes flies by" BUT once we were free to jump, roll, tumble, hang, she had a blast. I think she will be enjoying this because all day she continued to tumble around the house. My hope with this is to get her hooked on the gymnastics while she is young and then continue it through at least or up to junior high. My reasoning is that girls that I have seen take gymnastics when they are young are usually very toned, aware of their bodies, and can easily transfer into any other sport if she chooses and still do well.

I also stumbled across this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rdpSELDxt8 about the celebration of the Day of the Dead in Guatemala. I loved watching it and strangely I started crying during the viewing because I realized that Tuks will never be able to experience this event in Guatemala, celebrating along side her birth and extended family. If Tuki's situation, or I should say the dire circumstances surrounding her birth mom didn't exist, quite possibly she would have celebrated this annual event, but now even when (because we will celebrate next year and every year after with smaller kites) I attempt it, it will be on a much smaller, low key scale. Not quite the same. I really empathised with her loss today. The loss of her Guatemalan life is so smoke screened over with her new life and she doesn't even know (at least not yet) she lost this part of her history. This was a light bulb moment for me. An uncomfortable one, yet one I had to see.

But, then I also, with research, realized that Haitians also celebrate the Day of the Dead. According to what I read, a little rowdy in celebration, but still a day to remember those that have passed.

Maybe I can come up with a tradition that incorporates both countries style of celebration, yet not lose the original flavor of the holiday. Any ideas??

Here is another question, or thought..is it just coincidental that Halloween is October 31, and the Day of the Dead is November 1, OR is there some correlation and just a different take on the celebration from different countries..

Any one in the know about this??? I'd sure like to be informed.

3 comments:

Mandy said...

Asha did the tumbling at the YMCA last year as well and liked it. Asha is pretty serious about her gymnastics so we bypassed the Y this year and I signed her up at Carousel Gymnastics in Plover. If you want more information about it you can e-mail me and I'll give you the information I have. Tuki would have to be atleast 2 1/2 to participate and it goes all year with breaks in between sessions. They do more of the bars and it's a little more professional than the Y if your interested.

Andromeda Jazmon said...

There are a lot of similarities in holidays around the changing seasons and calendar. Google Samhain or Cross Quarter Days to read more about the overlaps. The combination of celebrations of harvest and remembering the dead goes way back.

I have put my boys in YMCA programs from the age of 2 or 3 as well. We went to a baby gym program before that. Now Buddy is asking for Karate, and I am not sure I like that. We will probably try it but I would rather he did soccer. Buster loved gymnastics when he was five, but he was the only boy in the class.

veggiemom said...

Ooh - gymnastics is so much fun!

When I lived in Spain, we didn't celebrate halloween per se but people said that was when the ghosts of the dead came out before All Saints Day (Nov 1st), which was like their Memorial Day.

Kerri and Ruby

My Travels