"Let every individual and institution now think and act as a responsible trustee of Earth, seeking choices in ecology, economics and ethics that will provide a sustainable future, eliminate pollution, poverty and violence, awaken the wonder of life and foster peaceful progress in the human adventure."
- John McConnell, founder of International Earth Day

RIGHT NOW, and then again tomorrow and then again the next day and on it goes day after day,
1/2 OF THE WORLD lives on LESS THAN 2 DOLLARS each day.

Psalm 27:4
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
Do all you can and don't worry about the odds against you. Wield the miracle of life's energy, never worrying whether we fail, concerned only that whether we fail or succeed we do so with all our might. That's all we need to know to feel certain that all our force of diligent effort is worth our while on Earth.
Carl Safina, Voyage of the Turtle

Friday, November 30, 2007

The CALL

Two years ago this day, I received the call at 8:30am, and received precious photos of my baby girl via email. She was only 28 hours old at the time of the call.
This was after a 11 month wait from the start and AFTER losing 4 referrals from September thus causing me to eat ALOT and gaining an extra 15 lbs. I remember thinking I was never going to be a Mom, and scared because there was talk that Guatemala was going to shut down adoption to singles. Well here we are, two years later and all is well, and almost all the extra pounds are gone too. The journey to Tuki, good friends and family helps in sustaining me through the rough times to my girls in Haiti.

International adoption and/or the trans-racial adoption journey is not easy, nor is it over once they are home. There is so much eduction that needs to occur. Education on so many levels; to me, my kids and the communities surrounding us. Yet some days I am just too tired to want to, but I must, for the sake of my kids.
It is all so WORTH it. The memories of the rough times helps me appreciate when we are in the good times.

This time in waiting for Panda and Cheetah will pass, and soon, in a loooong blink of an eye they will be home too. Mind you, this blink is so long that I and everyone I know thinks I now have a droopy, disabled eye, but it will eventually open and then there they will be, in person on a daily basis.

If you are also waiting for your child(ren) to come home, I urge you to hold on to this thought, they will also be home before you know it, and the WAIT will be a distant memory.


1 day


2 years

5 comments:

veggiemom said...

When I was first starting (2 1/2 years before Ruby came home) many people said adoption is not for the weak of heart. I didn't get it then but I do now and it's the best thing ever! What a beautiful baby Tuki was and such an amazing little girl now. Congrats on getting to be her mom. :)
Kerri and Ruby

Calico Sky said...

Thank you, I needed that so very very much...!

Jane said...

Thank you for this post. Received news of yet another delay yesterday so I'm really looking forward to that "distant memory" part you mentioned!

Marta said...

Thanks for posting this. I know in retrospect it will seem like a blink of an eye, but sometimes I have no retrospection!(My new word) We will just have to help each other out! BTW I love Tuki's pictures. I love how she looks exactly like herself in both pictures, just grown up in the second one!

Nikki said...

Hi there! I am just trying to get the word out about my new blogging business where I will "stylize" your blog for a small fee. This money I raise will go towards supporting a humanitarian trip I will be going on this summer for a month to the Dominican Republic. Please see my site for full details:
http://madebynikki.blogspot.com/
Thanks!
Nikki

My Travels