"Let every individual and institution now think and act as a responsible trustee of Earth, seeking choices in ecology, economics and ethics that will provide a sustainable future, eliminate pollution, poverty and violence, awaken the wonder of life and foster peaceful progress in the human adventure."
- John McConnell, founder of International Earth Day

RIGHT NOW, and then again tomorrow and then again the next day and on it goes day after day,
1/2 OF THE WORLD lives on LESS THAN 2 DOLLARS each day.

Psalm 27:4
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
Do all you can and don't worry about the odds against you. Wield the miracle of life's energy, never worrying whether we fail, concerned only that whether we fail or succeed we do so with all our might. That's all we need to know to feel certain that all our force of diligent effort is worth our while on Earth.
Carl Safina, Voyage of the Turtle

Saturday, January 12, 2008

Mom

Today, we had the laziest day I have ever experienced since Tuks came home and I didn't feel one bit guilty. The week passed quickly, and apparently I didn't have a need to say much since I have little postings.

But, today, I feel the need to mention that 24 years ago today my Mom turned 50 years old, and then 2 months and 6 days later she passed away after a 15 year battle with cancer. I have been alive 3 years longer without my Mom than I had lived with her in my life, yet as all mothers do, she left a profound mark on my life. My memory of her is from the perspective of a 20 year old, a time when one rebels a lot and is trying to find their way in life. Our relationship was not always the easiest. Though our characters and values were similar, we just had different personalities in our approach to life (at least at that time in my life), but my Mom was a loving, nurturing mother, who was extremely loyal to her friends, family and husband (my dad). She also laughed hard, enjoyed life, loved with her whole heart. She was feisty, fought a good fight (if there is such a thing) with the cancer and lived with dignity even though the illness ravaged her body with each passing year. She made our house a home, and made us a family. I would say she probably knew me better than any other living person has, again like mothers do. I miss my Mom, and my greatest sense of loss is that we never had the opportunity to enter into the Mom/daughter friend phase. I was 20, turning 21 years old when we lost her. It is like I missed a normal, sequential developmental phase, and I got stuck there looking for a mother figure. For years I have/had befriended women that were 20 some years older than me, I think subconsciously looking for that Mom/Friend guiding relationship. Naturally, it never quite worked that way.

I would also call the day she died the day that I started experiencing major internal upheaval with discontentment with my life. Nine years later my dad died and then other major happenings occurred soon after that. My discontentment lasted until this past year. I'm not saying that I haven't enjoyed life, I have had the fortunate opportunity to meet some wonderful people, travel to some incredible places, work some challenging, yet adventure filled jobs. I'm just saying that I have always felt like a chunk of me was not "there" in the moment. I was always in this land of "numbville", sad, observing from afar, waiting for that peace and inner joy to return. That's not a good way to live. If you had known me, you would have been hard pressed to see the sadness, I was good at covering it up with joviality, my true nature, so you can imagine how I hated being sad. My sadness started slowly disappearing once Tuki was home, and my family started to be rebuilt again, and I started healing. I have a ways to go, but I have also come so far.

I pray daily that my girls birth parents are protected, and healed from this all encompassing sadness that may take a hold of them because of having to place their beloved children for adoption.

I also admit, I do fear that my daughters will experience the same feelings for as long as I did from their losses. I hope my memory from my pain and losses will help me help them through theirs, so that they can grieve deeply, and thoroughly enough to be able to move on. I think sometimes we want people to get over losses quickly so that we don't have do deal with their sadness. In the long run, it does no one any good. I also hope that I can be the Mom to my girls that I feel my Mom was to me and the rest of my siblings.

Now, of course after I have become a Mom, my other sense of loss entwined with her death is that my girls will never get to know their amazing grandma. It is one of my goals to make her a memory for them by telling stories of her life.

6 comments:

veggiemom said...

I can so relate to your time in "numbville". My time there wasn't as long as yours but I also spent some years there - for me it was my marriage and living in denial of the fact that my husband was an alcoholic. I too was very good at hiding it and it really did a number on me for a while. I'm so glad to be out of that place and hope to never return.
I'm sure your time dealing with those difficulties will help you help your girls deal with their difficulties too.
Kerri and Ruby

This Mama said...

Yes, I really think your experiances with loss and grief will help you in guiding your children through it. I think of my three's birth family all the time as well...wondering how quiet their house must have become and thinking that silence must be such a painful reminder.
Thank-you for sharing some of your life journey with us, I know your an increadible Mother - look at your little girley at home always exploring life to it's fullest with you....

Marta said...

Thanks for sharing this. It must have been really hard for you all these years, and it makes me feel ashamed of myself because I have not always appreciated my mother the way that I should have. We don't have an "easy" relationship either, but I do still have her here on earth and I know she loves me with all of her heart. I do think that if we take these difficult experiences and process them, it makes us better people and better parents.

Sarah said...

Aves, thank you for such a well-expressed post. My daughter Hattie pulled me out of the 'numbness' that you so aptly described; thank goodness for our children. You are an amazing mother, and I am certain that the loss of your own mother will help aid them in their grieving.

Sarah and Tim said...

You will be a great example to them with dealing with their loss. You have done something great, and that was expose your inner being and the saddness that you felt for so long. This is a huge major step to healing. Your girls will be so blessed to have a mama like you!

Jane said...

I, too, share some of your experiences. We lost our mother just about 4 years ago and I waver between thinking she would never approve of my life choices since then...to thinking oh how she would enjoy this baby girl who is living in my house now! I also struggle with ways to make "Grammie" more real to her as she grows up. We have lots of photos, even some video - but I think it will be the passing of the family traditions that really makes Grammie a part of our lives.
And yes, I think you're a great mother to all 3 of your girls...and a role model to others, too! Why else would I be reading your blog during my only 30 minute break during the day?? LOL. I better go fold laundry.

My Travels