"Let every individual and institution now think and act as a responsible trustee of Earth, seeking choices in ecology, economics and ethics that will provide a sustainable future, eliminate pollution, poverty and violence, awaken the wonder of life and foster peaceful progress in the human adventure."
- John McConnell, founder of International Earth Day

RIGHT NOW, and then again tomorrow and then again the next day and on it goes day after day,
1/2 OF THE WORLD lives on LESS THAN 2 DOLLARS each day.

Psalm 27:4
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
Do all you can and don't worry about the odds against you. Wield the miracle of life's energy, never worrying whether we fail, concerned only that whether we fail or succeed we do so with all our might. That's all we need to know to feel certain that all our force of diligent effort is worth our while on Earth.
Carl Safina, Voyage of the Turtle

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

So, why Haiti

for my second and third adoptions.

It was about this time last year that I started really getting serious about a sibling for Tuks. I knew, always knew, that I did not want her to grow up being an only child. We have a wonderful relationship and quite honestly I could go on like this forever, but she won't stay young forever and I won't be alive forever. Considering the loss of my parents, and how I leaned on my siblings, I just knew I wanted that to be available for Tuks as well.

I didn't consider Guatemala the second time for many reasons, but of course the most pressing was that the laws were going to change and I didn't think it would still be open for adoptions when I thought I could afford the adoption of another child from Guatemala.
It has proven to be correct thinking because we all know the changes in effect.

So then my second leading country was Ethiopia. I really liked the idea of traveling there again and seeing more of the countryside this time. There is such a need with the children. I could bring home another healthy baby. The process wasn't very long and it is affordable. BUT the thing I didn't like about it was the travel time and cost of travel. You see, it is my goal to bring my children back to their birth countries at least twice, if not more, before they graduate from high school. I knew it was easily possible for Tuks returning to Guatemala many times, but I didn't think I would be able to afford several trips to Ethiopia for a family of 3 or 4. So that meant it wouldn't be fair for the kids in how many times we went back to their birth countries. Fairness was the big tipping scale for me.

I started looking at Haiti. Geographically it is around the same latitude as Guatemala, just located more east. Again there is such a need for children to find permanent homes. I could do the process independently instead of using an agency. The process was affordable for me sooner rather than later, and since I was/am no spring chicken I again wanted to start sooner rather than later. I had made the decision that I didn't mind that the children would be older when they came home, because it would make things financially easier on me by not having two kids in day care for many years. Plus, I enjoy older kids as much as babies, but it would require me to get educated on older child adoption adjustments and issues.

At the time I started the process, it was quoted that total length of time was 9 - 12 months by the time the children come home. It is not so any more, but I am mostly OK with it. I keep telling myself that I can relax and enjoy more alone time with Tuki before she has to learn to share me.

The adoption wait for Panda and Cheetah has also allowed a perfect platform for Tuki and I to talk adoption. We talk about her sisters in Haiti, and also about how she was born in Guatemala and adopted into our family as well.

Maybe I was led to Haiti as much as I was led to Guatemala, I don't really know. What I do know is that once I had found my children, then I fell in love with the country, its culture, and its people.

4 comments:

Marta said...

Yes, I think alot of us were led here. The process of elimination chipped away at other places, for various reason. But I will also have to say that something in my heart kept placing me here. In my heart and in my mind I kept returning. That was not true with any other option, and I think I pretty much looked at them all.

Sarah and Tim said...

Great story. I do think of the day that I can return with my son to his birth country...

veggiemom said...

I feel like I channel your thoughts sometimes. :) I had a very similar decision-making process. Travel is the one thing that almost kept me from going with Ethiopia. I'll just have to figure out a way to get back there on a regular basis. Thanks for sharing your journey.
Kerri and Ruby

Kelly said...

I am excited to read about your journey.I too cannot wait to take Skylie back her birth country, it is so very important.

My Travels