"Let every individual and institution now think and act as a responsible trustee of Earth, seeking choices in ecology, economics and ethics that will provide a sustainable future, eliminate pollution, poverty and violence, awaken the wonder of life and foster peaceful progress in the human adventure."
- John McConnell, founder of International Earth Day

RIGHT NOW, and then again tomorrow and then again the next day and on it goes day after day,
1/2 OF THE WORLD lives on LESS THAN 2 DOLLARS each day.

Psalm 27:4
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
Do all you can and don't worry about the odds against you. Wield the miracle of life's energy, never worrying whether we fail, concerned only that whether we fail or succeed we do so with all our might. That's all we need to know to feel certain that all our force of diligent effort is worth our while on Earth.
Carl Safina, Voyage of the Turtle

Sunday, January 20, 2008

Our Home Town


A neat photo of model trains. It looks better than our out of doors. A girl can dream can't she.

The last four to five days have been busy and cold. Saturday it was -15 degrees and now today it is -17 degrees. The busyness started Thursday night. We all gathered together at my brother W's house for his birthday celebration. It was a few days early, but he wanted to keep yesterday open for other activities. So the evening started around 5:30pm...Tuks usual bedtime. We stayed until 8:30pm. I thought for sure my day care provider would curse me on Friday, but Tuks was good as gold. Today is another story..LOL. Anyway Tuki had the opportunity to go snowmobiling. She went once and then she was all done. She may have gone more if I had driven, but I didn't want to drive the machine at night with Tuks on for the first time. It has been 20 some years since the last time I had driven one and it just didn't feel like the time to get comfy again. So she went with her Uncle J and cousin N. So once was enough for her.


She is sitting in the middle. Notice cousin N's face mask. Poor thing I'm not sure she could see a thing. We had the best belly laugh once we had seen this picture..after the fact.


Tuks all tucked in.

Then Saturday night Tuki and I went to our school's play. It was really inexpensive for the two of us. Again it started at 7:00pm..way past her bedtime, but I wanted to see if she could handle it. It is my hope to take her to plays in the future to get her a little accustomed to theatre. A love of mine. The first time I had gone in my life was when I was a freshman in college and fell in love with it. Anyway, it was an experiment gone bad. Naturally being past her bedtime, and then another late night within the same week. It spelled disaster from the beginning, but I had to try. She was spell bound for all about 20 minutes, then it was talking loudly, even though I prepped her for whispering, and moving all over, standing on the seat. I took her out once to remind her of proper behavior, we went back in and she had the whispering down, but the movement was at an all time high. I'm sure due to her being overly tired. We ended up going home about 35 minutes into the evening. So a question...When is a child old enough to be expected to sit still during a quiet performance and/or church service????

Today we didn't go to church because it was so cold this morning, but then once it warmed up, I took Tuks to a collector's railroad show. Not much there, but it was interesting and she enjoyed it. She loves trains for some reason, so we spent about and hour there watching the trains. It is a hobby that would require too much detail for me and I usually don't do things that are tedious. Just no patience for it. Maybe Tuks will acquire that kind of patience, but it isn't in me.


A guy concentrating on adding cars to the length of the train.


Watching a train zoom around a track.

2 comments:

Marta said...

I have been reading how brutally cold it has been. Ugh. All the more reason for you to move south, lol

Sarah said...

Still waiting for this cold spell to break. . .our computer's in the basement, and it's so cold down here that I can barely blogsurf, lol.

Paloma is just about 2.5 years, and there is no way that she can sit still for a play, or church, or even the new Veggie Tales movie. She's a hard kid to bring anywhere. Atticus was too; I think he was about 3, 3.5 before we could really work with him. I remember at the time thinking that we would never be out in public again, but it happened...eventually :)

My Travels