"Let every individual and institution now think and act as a responsible trustee of Earth, seeking choices in ecology, economics and ethics that will provide a sustainable future, eliminate pollution, poverty and violence, awaken the wonder of life and foster peaceful progress in the human adventure."
- John McConnell, founder of International Earth Day

RIGHT NOW, and then again tomorrow and then again the next day and on it goes day after day,
1/2 OF THE WORLD lives on LESS THAN 2 DOLLARS each day.

Psalm 27:4
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
Do all you can and don't worry about the odds against you. Wield the miracle of life's energy, never worrying whether we fail, concerned only that whether we fail or succeed we do so with all our might. That's all we need to know to feel certain that all our force of diligent effort is worth our while on Earth.
Carl Safina, Voyage of the Turtle

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

01.20.09 A day to remember

Today in each of my classes we discussed and watched the inauguration of President Obama.


I first told them that in '63, the year I was born, John F Kennedy was assassinated a few months after my birth. I told my students that it was an unusual time for one to grow up in since I was smack dab in the middle of the Civil Rights movement, that was fueled by the belief all people should be treated the same.


I then shared with them how a few years later, Martin Luther King Jr was assassinated for peacefully fighting to correct the wrongs that existed in our nation. He had a dream that ALL people, no matter their race, would be treated equally.


I then shared, how in the short 45 years that I have been alive we have come from Kennedy, King to now Obama. Today was a wonderful and memorable day for me and my children and students.

I then asked them how today was important to them.

The students who actually thought about it, and there were quite a few, said: it meant change for more jobs, more financial security, no war, more ecological friendly energy, and hope for the future.

NOT one mentioned it was an important day because of an African American man becoming President of the USA. They saw the man, they saw the hope, they saw his ideals.




I would say the next generation is miles and miles ahead of us when it comes to ALL people being treated fairly. His race was NOT an issue to them, only his ideals...I was humbled by their response and look forward to how the next generation will rock this nation.

1 comment:

This Mama said...

Nice post - thanks. My oldest watched in school as well and also discussed JFK. I will have to ask her what people said in her class (I was just listening to her perspective).

A very exciting day indeed :)
Take care,
Mandy

My Travels