"Let every individual and institution now think and act as a responsible trustee of Earth, seeking choices in ecology, economics and ethics that will provide a sustainable future, eliminate pollution, poverty and violence, awaken the wonder of life and foster peaceful progress in the human adventure."
- John McConnell, founder of International Earth Day

RIGHT NOW, and then again tomorrow and then again the next day and on it goes day after day,
1/2 OF THE WORLD lives on LESS THAN 2 DOLLARS each day.

Psalm 27:4
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
Do all you can and don't worry about the odds against you. Wield the miracle of life's energy, never worrying whether we fail, concerned only that whether we fail or succeed we do so with all our might. That's all we need to know to feel certain that all our force of diligent effort is worth our while on Earth.
Carl Safina, Voyage of the Turtle

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

TukiLogic on Adoption and VerbalVe on sister Mim

TukiLogic

Tuks: Mama, can we bring Luca home (a boy at the y's adventure alley)

Me: No, we can't because Luca has a family and Mama.

Tuks: I want (she still thinks because she wants it will granted, silly kid) to bring Luca home

Me: Is that how you think Ve came home, I just decided she would come home with us.

Tuks: Yes

Me: well it didn't work that way, Ve was adopted just like you were adopted.

Tuks: OH


I guess I have more education to do as to what adoption means. We read her Life book so she hears her story, but she may not be old enough to totally understand what it all means yet, and I am not ready to explain (science behind it) the whole growing in another woman's (birth mom's) belly, since Tuks is still only 3 and hasn't even attempted to ask where babies come from.

VerbalVe:

While looking at pictures of Mim

Me: Mim is your sister just like Tuks is your sister.

Ve: No

Me: yes, she is, she will be your sister

Ve: looking at me with a blank look on her face...

I am not sure if she likes the idea of Mim coming home to our family, or just not buying the idea that Mim is/will be her sister since they weren't the whole time they were at the O together. Poor kids, this all must really mess up their thinking sometimes!!

Again guess I have my work cut out for me. WHEW!!!

3 comments:

Marta said...

Tuks cracks me up. I wonder what Ve thought was going on in Haiti, as she and Mim were 'grouped' together at appropriate times, ie pictures, your visit, etc. Maybe someday she will tell you.

Brenda said...

You are great at this.

veggiemom said...

Adoption is such a huge concept. Medina and I have talked about her family in Ethiopia since it was mostly all in Amharic and I only caught a few words. She knows that all the kids in the orphanages she was in were getting new families in America and Spain. Yet a few days ago we were talking about families and the "real mom" comment she had gotten and I said "Medina, some kids just don't understand adoption." Medina responded, "Mom, what's adoption?" It dawned on me that even though the facts of her life and adoption are discussed routinely, I had probably never used the word adoption with her.

We just keep talking and I know it wall all sink in with Medina and Ruby, just as it will with Tuki and Ve.

My Travels