"Let every individual and institution now think and act as a responsible trustee of Earth, seeking choices in ecology, economics and ethics that will provide a sustainable future, eliminate pollution, poverty and violence, awaken the wonder of life and foster peaceful progress in the human adventure."
- John McConnell, founder of International Earth Day

RIGHT NOW, and then again tomorrow and then again the next day and on it goes day after day,
1/2 OF THE WORLD lives on LESS THAN 2 DOLLARS each day.

Psalm 27:4
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
Do all you can and don't worry about the odds against you. Wield the miracle of life's energy, never worrying whether we fail, concerned only that whether we fail or succeed we do so with all our might. That's all we need to know to feel certain that all our force of diligent effort is worth our while on Earth.
Carl Safina, Voyage of the Turtle

Thursday, December 27, 2007

Feeding the Ducks, Feeding the Soul

I ran for the first time in almost 2 months. I always seem to take a break after CC season and this break ended up lasted longer than planned. I ran 3 miles and lifted a little, and now I am sore. Tuks enjoyed getting back to her old stomping ground with the other kids at the Y.

Then later today we went with our neighbor A to feed some nearby mallard and butler/mallard mix ducks that hang around in a pond below a dam. A feeds then every winter and it is something he wanted to share with Tuki. I couldn't say no. Philosophically, I struggle with feeding wildlife since they become too dependent on the supplemental food and ultimately it changes their habits. The facts say don't feed, but then you have to consider the human factor and the enjoyment and how maybe it will have a long term positive effect on future generations because they were able to get so close to a wild animal. I know there never is an easy answer.

This kid has no fear of any animals. I love that about her, but now I need to watch for an anti-kid friendly animal because she is not old enough to understand how to approach them hesitantly until she can read their posture.

The pictures and the look on her face, and A's face says it all. They enjoy each other and since Tuk's grandpa passed away long before she was born, I am hoping A will take that spot for her. So far, so good!!
















5 comments:

veggiemom said...

Love that cute grin!
Kerri and Ruby

Jenn said...

That is adorable. I can't believe she was not a bit scared, having all those hungry ducks around her! You are raising a real animal lover! Too cute!

Andromeda Jazmon said...

Love those shots of her in a circle of ducks. Quack quack!

Sarah said...

Holy Cow! Tuks is one brave animal lover! My kids would have been unnerved being surrounded full circle by the ducks. Adorable photos :)

This Mama said...

VERY cute :)

My Travels