"Let every individual and institution now think and act as a responsible trustee of Earth, seeking choices in ecology, economics and ethics that will provide a sustainable future, eliminate pollution, poverty and violence, awaken the wonder of life and foster peaceful progress in the human adventure."
- John McConnell, founder of International Earth Day

RIGHT NOW, and then again tomorrow and then again the next day and on it goes day after day,
1/2 OF THE WORLD lives on LESS THAN 2 DOLLARS each day.

Psalm 27:4
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
Do all you can and don't worry about the odds against you. Wield the miracle of life's energy, never worrying whether we fail, concerned only that whether we fail or succeed we do so with all our might. That's all we need to know to feel certain that all our force of diligent effort is worth our while on Earth.
Carl Safina, Voyage of the Turtle

Saturday, December 15, 2007

Ole Christmas Tree, Ole Christmas Tree, How lovely are your branches.....


A Quetzal (Guatemala's national bird) ornament. Tuki's Gmom found this Guatemala ornament in a local shop. How cool is that!! It is just beautiful.
I asked if there were Haitian ornaments..she said she hadn't noticed any.


The tree.


Tuki examining a non-breakable ornament.


Now a plastic ice sickle. She will no doubt have 1 or 2 of these broken before the season is over. She can't keep her hands off them.


sMurph and Tuki's snowy owl under the tree.

One of the many reasons I like Christmas is the Christmas tree. It has always been magical to me. All the colors, the calmness surrounding it and its magnetic effect on everyone to congregate around it. It does not have to be perfect, it doesn't need presents under it, it just needs to be there and admired. Some of my fondest childhood memories are when I would shut off all the lights in the room where the tree was located and then lay down next to the lighted tree and just stare at it. I'd do this for hours and hours on end. My hope is to help my kids see the magic in
the tree. Nearly every single year I have put up a tree. In the coming years when Tuki is old enough I hope to add my nativity scene under it. But I don't think she could resist the temptation of the people this year, maybe next year.

Tuki and sMurph were hanging around the tree tonight and while I was snapping their pictures (without the flash to catch the aura of what we were feeling) I was surrounded by the three dogs...

still magical.............

3 comments:

veggiemom said...

You are so right! Love Christmas trees!
Kerri and Ruby

Marta said...

Every year, I still find a night or two that I sleep on the sofa so I can fall asleep looking at the lights on the tree, in the dark...

Jane said...

I need to crawl under our tree and snap a pic of the cats sleeping under there. My sister thinks I'm crazy for leaving a path thru the presents for them...but she doesn't know I would join them if I could!
Oh -just got a FP Nativity Set for our house. It's adorable!

My Travels