"Let every individual and institution now think and act as a responsible trustee of Earth, seeking choices in ecology, economics and ethics that will provide a sustainable future, eliminate pollution, poverty and violence, awaken the wonder of life and foster peaceful progress in the human adventure."
- John McConnell, founder of International Earth Day

RIGHT NOW, and then again tomorrow and then again the next day and on it goes day after day,
1/2 OF THE WORLD lives on LESS THAN 2 DOLLARS each day.

Psalm 27:4
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
Do all you can and don't worry about the odds against you. Wield the miracle of life's energy, never worrying whether we fail, concerned only that whether we fail or succeed we do so with all our might. That's all we need to know to feel certain that all our force of diligent effort is worth our while on Earth.
Carl Safina, Voyage of the Turtle

Sunday, February 10, 2008

Cold doesn't describe it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- 36 degrees now (with wind chill) and in a few hours a -38 degrees.

That darn Continential Artic Air Mass!!!!!!!!

I can safely say we are having a winter as I remember them from my childhood. Not sure if it is a fond memory though. LOL

EDITED TO ADD:

So today we plan NOT to walk outside, except to let the dogs out, of course, and instead I made double batches of two types of Meatloaf. I am freezing most and keeping one loaf of each out for the week. I made a hamburger type of meatloaf with carrots added, and then I also made a Chicken meatloaf with green olives and rice in it. Both are ooh... so good. Tuks likes them too. Now I have my meals for the week and I just need to add some veggies. Tuki as always is a big help in the kitchen, washing dishes and helping to cook the meals. Sometimes, she really is helpful, and sometimes I just encourage her to be helpful to hopefully instill long term good work ethics.

I also started regular birdhouse gourd seeds yesterday too. Tons of seeds, we'll see how many germinate. If they do, and I can keep them going until it is warm enough to plant outside I will hopefully grow tons of gourds.

Other than that I tend not to like February very much, never have, and this year doesn't seem to be any different. Tired of winter by this time and then it is a month of extremes, and I am longing for spring. I will have to say that I have heard songbirds vocalizing new calls on the somewhat 20 - 30 degree mornings this past week. It again is the sign to me that spring is around a BIG, yet too distant corner...

2 comments:

veggiemom said...

Okay - now I feel totally guilty complaining about our 20-30 deg weather. I keep trying to dress Ruby in bright spring colors, hoping the weather will get the message that we're ready for spring. I don't think it's working. ;-)
Kerri and Ruby

Marta said...

Spring was always my favorite time of year, because the winters in Northern California where I gres up are also very tough, although not quite as brutally cold as what you experience. I have lived in milder climates for most of my adult life and have been much healthier as a result.

Now that I live in the South, spring lasts about 15 minutes! I have learned to love the fall season because it's a reprieve from the overwhelmingly hot humid summers that drag on here. For me, Fall is the new Spring! lol

My Travels