"Let every individual and institution now think and act as a responsible trustee of Earth, seeking choices in ecology, economics and ethics that will provide a sustainable future, eliminate pollution, poverty and violence, awaken the wonder of life and foster peaceful progress in the human adventure."
- John McConnell, founder of International Earth Day

RIGHT NOW, and then again tomorrow and then again the next day and on it goes day after day,
1/2 OF THE WORLD lives on LESS THAN 2 DOLLARS each day.

Psalm 27:4
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
Do all you can and don't worry about the odds against you. Wield the miracle of life's energy, never worrying whether we fail, concerned only that whether we fail or succeed we do so with all our might. That's all we need to know to feel certain that all our force of diligent effort is worth our while on Earth.
Carl Safina, Voyage of the Turtle

Sunday, February 3, 2008

Debt Reduction

The Adoption process costs money. Even the best laid out plans for the adoption process costs money. But without a doubt it is worth it. My focus the last few years was to grow our family through adoption. Hopefully by the end of 2008 the family will all be together under one roof..hopefully, but if it runs into 2009, then so be it, we will survive.

But I can see that the initial big costs are coming to an end. Even closer after April of this year, so I am now turning my sights onto planning for debt reduction. I have told several friends that my goal is to get rid of all debt except mortgage within the next two years, and then attack that too. It will be hard. I need to stay focused, and sacrifice more of my travel time, but it will be worth it in the long run for me and the girls.

So my first two steps have been:

1. Start a side business to earn more money;
http://www.workathomeunited.com/synergize

I like this business because it is easy to do with another full time job and single or stay at home parenting. Plus it supports my belief system in so many ways. Double plus, the start up cost is next to nothing.

2. I purchased the Dave Ramsey "The Total Money Makeover" book. I have been devouring it. It is so practical, and step by step. I have laid my plan out and I am excited about it because I can see the end result, while standing at the start line.

If you also have a debt reduction goal, this book is a must read.

I’ll let you know more as I progress through the steps.

2 comments:

Sarah and Tim said...

This is wonderful news!!! We were just about out of debt when we started our adoptions the first time, now, no savings, and debt. We too focus like crazy to not have or create any more debt, than what is necessary for the adoption! Great move, let me know how that book is!

Sarah said...

Sounds like some good steps, Aves!! We are doing/have been doing the Dave Ramsey program for about 6 months. The adoption/family issues/life continues to sidetrack us every now and again, but it has greatly reduced monthly cash flow issues and my anxiety about money in general. Keep up the good attitude and work :)

My Travels