"Let every individual and institution now think and act as a responsible trustee of Earth, seeking choices in ecology, economics and ethics that will provide a sustainable future, eliminate pollution, poverty and violence, awaken the wonder of life and foster peaceful progress in the human adventure."
- John McConnell, founder of International Earth Day

RIGHT NOW, and then again tomorrow and then again the next day and on it goes day after day,
1/2 OF THE WORLD lives on LESS THAN 2 DOLLARS each day.

Psalm 27:4
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
Do all you can and don't worry about the odds against you. Wield the miracle of life's energy, never worrying whether we fail, concerned only that whether we fail or succeed we do so with all our might. That's all we need to know to feel certain that all our force of diligent effort is worth our while on Earth.
Carl Safina, Voyage of the Turtle

Sunday, March 9, 2008

Toddler "Tude" and Mama "Tude" Issue

Lately, like in the last 1 1/2 weeks Tuki has been stuffing her mouth full and then holding the food for like, well it feels like forever. I, of course don't handle it well at all. I know this behavior can rot the teeth out and it stresses me out to no end. Plus sometimes she will actually start drooling out the contents. Now, mind you she doesn't do it all the time, but I'd say at least once to twice each day.

How do I handle it, well like I said I handle it badly and that is why I am blogging about it. I need help. I, first, of course try to ignore it, doesn't help, then I get mad and tell her to "chew the food", doesn't help, she just says "no". Then I yell at her to "CHEW", thereby letting her know that this is an issue that bothers me, also sending her the message, that yes, as a two year old trying to gain control over a situation, you now have it... like I said, I handle it poorly, then sometimes I have even manually moved her jaws to help her chew, of course this is not effective. Basically it becomes a big scene, to the point, in the end she is crying and I am really mad. Once she finally does chew the food, I praise her right away, we give each "high fives" and then I explain that she should not stuff her mouth and hold food again, in which she replies "OK". But of course, she does do it again....and so we go for another round of the above.

I know that this can be a behavior in kids that were in orphanages and have experienced a shortage of food in their life. But Tuks has not had this, she had a great foster family, and she has been home close to two years (May).....so please help if you have been through this with your kids and how did you deal with it, and how long did it last....

Thanks in advance for your help...because I am at my wits end.................

8 comments:

Brenda said...

I think I would cut up her food and only give her a piece at time for awhile. Or only offer her a drink when it is "all gone"....

Brenda said...

I have a thought. I don't know anything about children from orphanges. Is this a behavior caused by fearing not getting food later? If so, you might just start huggin her and tell her you love her and she is safe and there will be more food later. I have a feeling I am only suggesting things you have already tried.

This Mama said...

Oh my little Finn was like this and then he would choke...I was more scared of that then anything. So we cut (and still do sometimes) his food into tiny little pieces and tell him he must sit down to eat. He is only now starting to get his food in regular sizes and only when he sits up at the table with the rest of us. He does it because he wants to play though.

Jenn said...

I would cut it up very small and only give her small amounts on her plate at a time. I also wouldn't make a big deal out of it. The food isn't going to rot her teeth that quickly and the more big of a deal you make it, the more her two year brain will make her do it.

Laurie said...

I agree with Jen to not get too stressed about it. At two years old you have very little you can control but two things they can control is eating & going to the bathroom. Don't make them issues or she will get worse.

My new little guy does that (more hoarding so no one else gets it) & I have to tell him no more eat what's in your mouth & too your tummy & we rub our tummies. He thinks it is funny but will swallow his food down.

I wouldn't worry about your babes teeth unless she is holding the food in her mouth for hours.

Good luck Mom

Laurie

Brenda said...

I agree with the others about not letting this be an emotional issue with you. You don't want to put any more emotion tied to food then she already has.

Brenda said...

I agree with the others about not letting this be an emotional issue with you. You don't want to put any more emotion tied to food then she already has.

Sarah said...

You got some good advice here! Paloma doesn't hold food in her mouth, but she will stuff it fuller than full, thereby freaking me out with the choking. I too cut up super tiny pieces, and then only put a little out at a time. Granted, I haven't eaten a warm dinner since the child began eating table food, but at least she's no longer choking :)

My Travels