"Let every individual and institution now think and act as a responsible trustee of Earth, seeking choices in ecology, economics and ethics that will provide a sustainable future, eliminate pollution, poverty and violence, awaken the wonder of life and foster peaceful progress in the human adventure."
- John McConnell, founder of International Earth Day

RIGHT NOW, and then again tomorrow and then again the next day and on it goes day after day,
1/2 OF THE WORLD lives on LESS THAN 2 DOLLARS each day.

Psalm 27:4
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
Do all you can and don't worry about the odds against you. Wield the miracle of life's energy, never worrying whether we fail, concerned only that whether we fail or succeed we do so with all our might. That's all we need to know to feel certain that all our force of diligent effort is worth our while on Earth.
Carl Safina, Voyage of the Turtle

Monday, March 10, 2008

Redo...............


Ok, to continue on with my earlier post…..I have been in a funk lately. The not getting any substantial news on my daughters in Haiti, tons of snow left on the ground, not totally settled as to what school I will be teaching in next year, will Panda be home before CC season, should I go to Haiti this summer, or wait until the pick up trip, etc., etc., many many things rambling around in my head. Yet the worse of them all is Isaac’s death. Now let me explain, before you think, well get over it already.

As you all know as a parent, and then a single parent, we are juggling a lot of balls in the air at any given time. A LOT of balls. If we keep moving, and as I say to my students “keep our head in the game” we can manage it. But, if one ball drops then it kind of messes with all the other balls. Isaac’s death, or I should say the cause of his death was my “dropped ball”. You see for some reason, and I can’t explain why, just didn’t keep up with it last year; Isaac wasn’t protected from ticks by my usual application of Frontline. So a tick that happened to have been carrying erhlichiosis bit him, and Isaac, who happened to be a Doberman and middle age, came down with the chronic form of the disease. Doberman Pinchers and German Shepherds are statistictially higher in developing the chronic form. So I have been living with the guilt of knowing that I killed my beloved dog, and on top of that, it was a long-suffering illness. He was my dropped ball, and it broke into a million pieces, never to be put back together again.

This scares me….

I will drop the balls again…

Tuki not chewing her food was freaking me out simply because my natural response is to ignore it, let her work past her phase, while explaining to her that she needs to chew. This is how I have handled every other phase, calmly work through it until the phase has passed, but then I remembered how I was too casual with Isaac, and now it was Tuki’s teeth on the line… yes, I was over-reacting because I am fearful of what I didn’t do.

I will eventually have to forgive myself for Isaac, eventually, but it wasn’t his fault, but he paid the price for my mess up, so it will take me awhile to let it go.

And then of course, I think to when all the girls are home…a lot more balls, and I will have to work even harder to keep them in the air…..and this sends a little fear down my spine. I will adjust to 3 daughters, we will eventually function as a family, but oh I pray that the next ball I drop is minor and I can call a “redo”.

I so wish I could scream “redo, redo” when it comes to my actions with Isaac……if only…..

6 comments:

This Mama said...

I think it is great that you are able to connect the dots with your actions and why you are feeling the way you are....
There are so many what if's in life...I am sad that your Issac passed away, but I don't see it as your fault (sorry - I hope that is not the wrong thing to say)...
there are so many things that we do/or don't do in any given say that could effect the future.
I am sure you were such a loving pet owner and gave your dog such a wonderful life! I think that would be everything he would have wished for....
(sorry if I over stepped)
~Mandy

Jenn said...

There have been many times in my parenting career that I have looked back and realized that it was me who dropped the ball and because of it, other's suffered.

You are a wonderful pet owner and loved your furry family members well. Isaac knows it too...Things get overlooked and/or forgotten and trying to find blame is normal. Try not to get too down on yourself. You did the best you could at the time.

and let me tell you this now...you will drop more balls along the way. It is not how many you drop it's how you react and try and change, so as to not drop the same ball again.

You are doing a great job!

Brenda said...

I think when we are evaluating our lives we have to look at our intentions. You never would have hurt Isaac intentionally in a million years. You were a kind of loving owner. If you can figure out how to stop making mistakes you need to let the rest of the universe know. You will become a billionaire. Be as kind to yourself as you would be to someone else in the same situation.

Not Betty Crocker said...

I'm sorry you're feeling such grief over this (and I can totally see why) but know that we all have our Isaac's...moments in time we wish we could redo. I know you would never intentionally drop the ball and I'm sure Isaac knows it too.

A Blessed Life said...

I raise chihuahuas and I only let mine go to families that I feel will be responsible and truly love them. You are one of those people. I would feel that my babies were going to the best of the best to be a part of your family.
I agree with Jen - you will drop balls in the future. Unfortunately being human that happens. We just try to learn from those experiences.
Forgive yourself.

Suzanne said...

My sympathies. Two years ago, I had to have both of my beloved dogs 'put to sleep' in the same summer. I had so many feelings of guilt. I kept thinking why didn't I do this...what if I'd done that...... All I can tell you is that eventually the pain and guilt fade, and you can think back with good memories.

By the way, are you going to fiesta?

Suzanne

My Travels